Why become a member? ×

IT'S HERE! (pics in page 2) - Succumbed to Sire!

Ander87

Seriously impressed with mine... headstock takes some getting used to, and a couple on minor QC issues (blemished scratchplate and blemished tuner) that Andertons were very quick and painless with putting right, and I wouldn't expect to be the normal order.

Other than that though, killer bass and one of the best necks I've ever played. Every gig now is a challenge whether I chose this or my Sandberg California II VT4 (which is my ride or die for playing comfort) and the sire comes out on top at least 8/10 gigs. I could've bought 4 of the Sire bass for the cost of the Sandberg, too! 

20230204_204141.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, thisisswanbon said:

Seriously impressed with mine... headstock takes some getting used to, and a couple on minor QC issues (blemished scratchplate and blemished tuner) that Andertons were very quick and painless with putting right, and I wouldn't expect to be the normal order.

Other than that though, killer bass and one of the best necks I've ever played. Every gig now is a challenge whether I chose this or my Sandberg California II VT4 (which is my ride or die for playing comfort) and the sire comes out on top at least 8/10 gigs. I could've bought 4 of the Sire bass for the cost of the Sandberg, too! 

Gah!!! I love it, this is seriously so sexy!! I hadn’t seen any around here on that colour/spec for the V5R. 

what’s the weight like? Have you felt any need to change the pickups? 

I’m thinking it could become my main gigging bass, the stingray special is likely too precious to expose to crowds in a punk rock gig sometimes…

my only real concern is the weight, I hope it kicks under 9.5lbs. 

Ander. 

2 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Gah!!! I love it, this is seriously so sexy!! I hadn’t seen any around here on that colour/spec for the V5R. 

what’s the weight like? Have you felt any need to change the pickups? 

I’m thinking it could become my main gigging bass, the stingray special is likely too precious to expose to crowds in a punk rock gig sometimes…

my only real concern is the weight, I hope it kicks under 9.5lbs. 

Ander. 

It's not as light as the Sandy (which is very light) but it's certainly lighter than the Fender MIM deluxe jazz I had before it!  I wouldn't consider it heavy by any means, but it is the 4 string so YMMV.

Not majorly exposed to jazz basses, but don't feel the need to change the pick ups. To me it's fatter than the jazz Deluxe in passive mode, but with a gorgeous high mid punch with both Pups on full. 

Your SR special is a dream bass for me!  🤤 but this will definitely feel a safer bet for gigging for you and it'll still do punk rock perfectly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thisisswanbon said:

It's not as light as the Sandy (which is very light) but it's certainly lighter than the Fender MIM deluxe jazz I had before it!  I wouldn't consider it heavy by any means, but it is the 4 string so YMMV.

Not majorly exposed to jazz basses, but don't feel the need to change the pick ups. To me it's fatter than the jazz Deluxe in passive mode, but with a gorgeous high mid punch with both Pups on full. 

Your SR special is a dream bass for me!  🤤 but this will definitely feel a safer bet for gigging for you and it'll still do punk rock perfectly!

Aha, thank you! Yes, I got the 4 string version too so I’m hoping that will be light enough for gigs etc. 

interesting on the pickups, I do love a fat type of pickups due to my precision bass background and the genre, so that’ll help massively - good to hear the ‘Fat J Revolution’ pickups the V5R comes with aren’t just marketing but a hint at the character 😂 

Completely agree some Fender can be mental heavy and tbh 9.5lbs/4.3kg is not a demand for a super light bass anyways… I asked Thomann if they could weigh it but no charm. 

… if it’s bloody heavy I can order another one to have my pick and then return the boat anchor if any of them is haha

Thanks again!

Ander. 

48 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I could've bought 4 of the Sire bass for the cost of the Sandberg, too! 

I play mostly 5ers. Have been a Stingray5 guy since forever, but also owned several other 5 strings. Most expensive of them were an EBMM Sterling5 HS (doesn't count, still a Musicman), a Fender Am Dlx P5 (worst "expensive" 5er I've owned) and a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ (& was indeed about to buy an Elwood 5er a few months ago). Also have played countless Sandberg 5ers, which I find barely OK for their price. I'd take the Sire V3 5er over any Fender/Maruszczyk/Sandberg 5er I've played, no doubt (also I hate DEADlano pickups). Feel really stupid for not getting a Sire years ago.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Aha, thank you! Yes, I got the 4 string version too so I’m hoping that will be light enough for gigs etc. 

interesting on the pickups, I do love a fat type of pickups due to my precision bass background and the genre, so that’ll help massively - good to hear the ‘Fat J Revolution’ pickups the V5R comes with aren’t just marketing but a hint at the character 😂 

Completely agree some Fender can be mental heavy and tbh 9.5lbs/4.3kg is not a demand for a super light bass anyways… I asked Thomann if they could weigh it but no charm. 

… if it’s bloody heavy I can order another one to have my pick and then return the boat anchor if any of them is haha

Thanks again!

Ander. 

I hope I haven't "over egged" the fat pick ups mind, I'd hate to cause disappointment!  I just feel that to me, it's got a bit more body to the tone than the other couple of Jazz basses I've had in the past, it doesn't quite have the same fullness as a P (although, I don't think that's the point of a jazz). Either way, I'm sure there'll be a lot to like... enjoy your NBD when it comes!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, andruca said:

I play mostly 5ers. Have been a Stingray5 guy since forever, but also owned several other 5 strings. Most expensive of them were an EBMM Sterling5 HS (doesn't count, still a Musicman), a Fender Am Dlx P5 (worst "expensive" 5er I've owned) and a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ (& was indeed about to buy an Elwood 5er a few months ago). Also have played countless Sandberg 5ers, which I find barely OK for their price. I'd take the Sire V3 5er over any Fender/Maruszczyk/Sandberg 5er I've played, no doubt (also I hate DEADlano pickups). Feel really stupid for not getting a Sire years ago.

Admittedly the Delanos and pre-amp left me wanting on the Sandy, and thus they were pulled and replaced by a local builders custom picks ups and passive circuit.  Build and playability are amazing on it though, but again not worth the £1300 compared the the sire by any means...

• Like 1

Beautiful Bass, Anders, I had a Sire U5 short Scale for a wile and I was stunned by how good it was, and ie owned a lot of expensive Basses. One of my next purchases (probably early next year) will be a 5 string V5 jazz, I Need to see if they do that colour with a maple board. I have a Sadowsky Preamp pedal, that is just a fantastic thing, adds clarity and fatness with sounding overly (active) I even use it with my Spectors 

13 hours ago, lee650 said:

Beautiful Bass, Anders, I had a Sire U5 short Scale for a wile and I was stunned by how good it was, and ie owned a lot of expensive Basses. One of my next purchases (probably early next year) will be a 5 string V5 jazz, I Need to see if they do that colour with a maple board. I have a Sadowsky Preamp pedal, that is just a fantastic thing, adds clarity and fatness with sounding overly (active) I even use it with my Spectors 

Oh, nice to hear Lee! I was tempted but I need to see a pickguard somehow, guess I'm deep in the FSO universe for the last couple years at least... And plus I wanted to get a bass I would want to gig and not sure if the shortscale proportions could threw me off...!

I don't think they have this colour for maple but they've got a gorgeous champagne gold that I was very tempted by - I would've completely bought this would it not be because I already have a maple board on my Precision...:

image.png.acdac09a5063b3951fa6cb18af658d85.png

Best,

Ander.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Oh, nice to hear Lee! I was tempted but I need to see a pickguard somehow, guess I'm deep in the FSO universe for the last couple years at least... And plus I wanted to get a bass I would want to gig and not sure if the shortscale proportions could threw me off...!

I don't think they have this colour for maple but they've got a gorgeous champagne gold that I was very tempted by - I would've completely bought this would it not be because I already have a maple board on my Precision...:

image.png.acdac09a5063b3951fa6cb18af658d85.png

Best,

Ander.

Wow! I quite like that. I regrettably didn't get on with the Short scale, but definitely convinced me of Sires quality/cost ratio. It definitely proves that quality instruments are available at a realistic price. Also as you say I'd rather gig a decent cheaper bass, than my beloved 82 JV jazz or my spectors at the various "colourful establishments" around lancaster and Morecambe 🤣

Edited by lee650
  • Haha 1

Right...! So, bass is here.

First, the bad: awfully setup, I have to say, the action at fret 12 must've been more than 5mm high, I genuinely don't think I've ever played a bass with the action so high in my life. The neck was relatively straight and the saddles etc are okay. I could lower the action so much that even the strings were touching the pickups.

This in the picture is my index:

image.thumb.png.d009da559f90a4d630aea3e921a17abd.png

Asides from that.... I genuinely can't complain!

It is very nicely finished - the paint in the truss rod hole is well painted, no issues with the binding even if I was expecting some. Forgivably, some of the frets on the treble side at around fret 12-15 do scratch a bit on the joint with the fretboard, but this is £399 and they call it the dusty end for a reason.

Weight wise, 4.15kg, so, very manageable - I would like it down to 4kg but hey, it's not a la carte menu nor a custom - very manageable and good balance. I've read I could save a good 200gr with Gotoh tuners but so far I like how these ones move/behave.

Sound, yes, it is a thicker sounding jazz - @thisisswanbon was VERY right- it has very good body on the lower end and that nasal treble side that we like on a jazz bass. I was assuming I'd have to run to change pickups but this is definitely not necessary, I may do at some point out of genuine boredom more than any actual issue. No hum whatsoever with either pickups, of course none when both are on. One thing I like is that turning both pickups on keeps pretty much the same bottom as isolating the neck pickup - and no volume loss. I really like this since I come back from Precision pickups or jazzes where I almost always play with the neck pickup.

The roasted maple has a lovely satin finish, not as nice as the gunstock/oil of my Stingray Special but also consider this bass is 6 times cheaper aye? Frankly, if my Stingray neck finish is 10/10, this would be a solid 8.5-9/10, much as it hurts to admit.

The rolling of the frets is spot on where it matters except those two frets around 12-14 on the treble side I mentioned. 

I have touched the truss rod and saddles to where the bass is much more playable, and I normally do my own setups but seeing how extreme this was I will probably take it to a professional to setup for some £25-30 I guess - something to note in the budget. Will probably take the chance to restring on Stainless Steel daddarios and through the body.

Now, the big question, seeing as I have a 'good years' Fender Precision MiM in Lake Placid Blue (2010). How do they compare?

Similar sound quality - but the Sire has top game finishes that I would expect in Schecters of double the price to name a brand. I'd say finishing wise it's very in the 1k£ range, but I don't think I'd compare it to American made - just a bloody good Korean finish (LTD 1000 series, Schecter high end, PRS SE Signatures... that sort of vibe).

Considering I've had about 25 basses and this is my cheapest, I would gladly believe this is in the £800-1000 range by features and feel - add branded pickups and I'd be ready to assume this is £1200s in today's money as a signature model or similar.

Now, I do love the Fender but I know Sire makes the P5 in Mild Green, same as this V5R, for a silly £379 with roasted maple.... Will I give in to a trio in this seafoam green vibes?? :D 

image.thumb.png.a1caa0b227aff04e8079f3c95eb36654.png

image.thumb.png.4e5b762b028f48d5cac954c4d4f18ca4.png

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 16

• Ander87 changed the title to IT'S HERE! (pics in page 2) - Succumbed to Sire!
8 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Right...! So, bass is here.

First, the bad: awfully setup, I have to say, the action at fret 12 must've been more than 5mm high, I genuinely don't think I've ever played a bass with the action so high in my life. The neck was relatively straight and the saddles etc are okay. I could lower the action so much that even the strings were touching the pickups.

This in the picture is my index:

image.thumb.png.d009da559f90a4d630aea3e921a17abd.png

Asides from that.... I genuinely can't complain!

It is very nicely finished - the paint in the truss rod hole is well painted, no issues with the binding even if I was expecting some. Forgivably, some of the frets on the treble side at around fret 12-15 do scratch a bit on the joint with the fretboard, but this is £399 and they call it the dusty end for a reason.

Weight wise, 4.15kg, so, very manageable - I would like it down to 4kg but hey, it's not a la carte menu nor a custom - very manageable and good balance. I've read I could save a good 200gr with Gotoh tuners but so far I like how these ones move/behave.

Sound, yes, it is a thicker sounding jazz - @thisisswanbon was VERY right- it has very good body on the lower end and that nasal treble side that we like on a jazz bass. I was assuming I'd have to run to change pickups but this is definitely not necessary, I may do at some point out of genuine boredom more than any actual issue. No hum whatsoever with either pickups, of course none when both are on. One thing I like is that turning both pickups on keeps pretty much the same bottom as isolating the neck pickup - and no volume loss. I really like this since I come back from Precision pickups or jazzes where I almost always play with the neck pickup.

The roasted maple has a lovely satin finish, not as nice as the gunstock/oil of my Stingray Special but also consider this bass is 6 times cheaper aye? Frankly, if my Stingray neck finish is 10/10, this would be a solid 8.5-9/10, much as it hurts to admit.

The rolling of the frets is spot on where it matters except those two frets around 12-14 on the treble side I mentioned. 

I have touched the truss rod and saddles to where the bass is much more playable, and I normally do my own setups but seeing how extreme this was I will probably take it to a professional to setup for some £25-30 I guess - something to note in the budget. Will probably take the chance to restring on Stainless Steel daddarios and through the body.

Now, the big question, seeing as I have a 'good years' Fender Precision MiM in Lake Placid Blue (2010). How do they compare?

Similar sound quality - but the Sire has top game finishes that I would expect in Schecters of double the price to name a brand. I'd say finishing wise it's very in the 1k£ range, but I don't think I'd compare it to American made - just a bloody good Korean finish (LTD 1000 series, Schecter high end, PRS SE Signatures... that sort of vibe).

Considering I've had about 25 basses and this is my cheapest, I would gladly believe this is in the £800-1000 range by features and feel - add branded pickups and I'd be ready to assume this is £1200s in today's money as a signature model or similar.

Now, I do love the Fender but I know Sire makes the P5 in Mild Green, same as this V5R, for a silly £379 with roasted maple.... Will I give in to a trio in this seafoam green vibes?? :D 

image.thumb.png.a1caa0b227aff04e8079f3c95eb36654.png

image.thumb.png.4e5b762b028f48d5cac954c4d4f18ca4.png

Just lovely!! 

Thank you @lee650 ! Very impressed with this Sire.

Reckon I'll end up getting the matching P5, and leave them stock until I feel like a change of pickups just before going into the studio next year.

I do have to say that this appreciation for cheaper basses has been made possible only by the wonderful Capo pedal, man, that thing is like engaging the talent button I know I need hahaha it just turns any bass into a powerhouse - add that to a well-finished bass, a broad-dispersing cab and you're ready to go!

Ander.