Why become a member? ×

anyone here in a one hit wonder band?

lidl e

33 minutes ago, scalpy said:

Not quite in the same league as closing the Commonwealth games and certainly not a one hit wonder myself…

We did a wedding where Chesney Hawkes was a guest, so we rehearsed up I Am The One And Only (a surprisingly tricky little beast with some clever key changes and timing tricks) in case he’d get asked to do it- which he did. So he walked up to me to me to check the key, knocked out a note perfect rendition (I think he’s had enough practise at it), crowd went bonkers, he shook us all by the hand and disappeared.

I don't think he was a one hit winder was he? Didn't he have another big hit that no one remembers?

I saw him play at the Radio 1 roadshow at Longleat but remember nothing about his performance. 

17 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I don't think he was a one hit winder was he? Didn't he have another big hit that no one remembers?

I saw him play at the Radio 1 roadshow at Longleat but remember nothing about his performance. 

from Wiki-

Follow-up single "I'm a Man Not a Boy" peaked at 27 in the UK, with subsequent singles including "What's Wrong with This Picture?", "Stay Away Baby Jane" (a collaboration with Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne) and "Another Fine Mess" also charting in the top 100.

I’d be happy with a no27 hit, especially at those times, but I think Chesney could be safely classed as a number 1 one hit wonder!

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

from Wiki-

Follow-up single "I'm a Man Not a Boy" peaked at 27 in the UK, with subsequent singles including "What's Wrong with This Picture?", "Stay Away Baby Jane" (a collaboration with Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne) and "Another Fine Mess" also charting in the top 100.

I’d be happy with a no27 hit, especially at those times, but I think Chesney could be safely classed as a number 1 one hit wonder!

I was mistaken. I seem to remember quite a few one hit wonders around that time. Stiltskin and Babylon Zoo were around the same time with huge hits then nothing. 

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I was mistaken. I seem to remember quite a few one hit wonders around that time. Stiltskin and Babylon Zoo were around the same time with huge hits then nothing. 

& The Mike Flowers Pops (cover of wonderwall) who I remember being interviewed at the time and asked if he'd be a one hit wonder, the response was 'that's better than being a no hit wonder'. 

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Written by Nik Kershaw, a songsmith of the highest order. :) 

One of the most underrated songwriters ever. Everything he's done is masterful but his '15 Minutes' album is an absolute tour de force.

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

One of the most underrated songwriters ever. Everything he's done is masterful but his '15 Minutes' album is an absolute tour de force.

Is he underrated? I thought he's generally recognised as one of the all time greatest pop song writers.