Why become a member? ×

NSSBD

FinnDave

Anyone who has read my recent posts will probably get what NSSBD stands for, but for those wise enough not to have read my previous outpourings, I shall offer you a clue. I have bought a Squier Mustang bass to try and beat the osteoarthritis in the fingers of my left hand. Today I have played about 6 times more than I have been able to play in the last six months.

I'll add a pic if really necessary, but it's a standard Olympic white/tort/rosewood substitute Mustang. The Fender natural finish with PJ pickups played and sounded much better, but I was reluctant to spent over £600 on what is basically an experiment to determine whether I can continue to play bass or not. If it works, then it's worth every penny.

Edited by FinnDave
auto correct corrected incorrectly!
  • Like 11

First time I picked up my SS Ray it felt like it was playing itself - remember those days? - days when playing was effortless, days before playing became physically strenuous - age does that - I joke with my aging friends that the MOT on this body has run out and it requires fixing up. Bad back? Got one...arthritis - yep, that too. Father Time conspires to take away that which we have always relied on.

If a short scale bass allows us to cheat Father Time for a short while then so be it - I'll take any time or anything that allows me to keep playing. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Anyone who has read my recent posts will probably get what NSSBD stands for, but for those wise enough not to have read my previous outpourings, I shall offer you a clue. I have bought a Squier Mustang bass to try and beat the osteoporosis arthritis in the fingers of my left hand. Today I have played about 6 times more than I have been able to play in the last six months.

I'll add a pic if really necessary, but it's a standard Olympic white/tort/rosewood substitute Mustang. The Fender natural finish with PJ pickups played and sounded much better, but I was reluctant to spent over £600 on what is basically an experiment to determine whether I can continue to play bass or not. If it works, then it's worth every penny.

Sorry to hear about the osteoporosis arthritis and some other comments on here. If you feel like your bass-playing days are coming to an end due to 'left-hand' issues, I can't recommend your trying out a Kala electric U-Bass highly enough. If you have had any previous experience with 'rubber-band' mini-basses, forget it. The Kala uses a different type of string and is a completely different animal. Once in tune, it stays there; is seriously lightweight, which addresses any shoulder issues for those with arthritis/back pain, and sounds something like a cross between a DB and a Precision. I used mine recently with a full band and more than a few folk were up and asking what this small instrument with the deep bass voice was. These are not cheap - retailing at around £1250 -but they really are proper instruments and not 'toys'. I thought that posting this might help anyone reading who is unaware of this bass. Of course, it goes without saying, I have no connection to the company or any other incentive to write this other than trying to assist those experiencing pain when playing a 'normal' bass. Photo of my bass for illustration. 

Best Snork.

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks, Snork, I will keep that in mind if my current experiment with a 30" scale conventional bass causes any issues with my hand. My problem is osteoarthritis in the fingers, the osteoporosis is something that autocorrect slipped in when I wasn't looking!

I played the Mustang bass for about an hour this morning and that didn't cause any problems, so I am hoping to get a band rehearsal together in the next couple of weeks and hopefully pick up a few summer gigs.

28 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Thanks, Snork, I will keep that in mind if my current experiment with a 30" scale conventional bass causes any issues with my hand. My problem is osteoarthritis in the fingers, the osteoporosis is something that autocorrect slipped in when I wasn't looking!

I played the Mustang bass for about an hour this morning and that didn't cause any problems, so I am hoping to get a band rehearsal together in the next couple of weeks and hopefully pick up a few summer gigs.

OK. Best wishes for that. Enjoy your gigs and the summer. Hop all goes well.

• Thanks 1