Why become a member? ×

MIM Fender Jazz Scratchplate

Hi,

1st post on here, but often read these pages...anyway...

I'm after a new scratchplate for my MIM Fretless Fender Jazz bass. I currently have a white one with a sunburst body and would like to change!

I've heard that the standard scratch plates sold for 'Fender Jazz basses' will only fit the MIA, and I would have to cut the scratch plate to fit! Is this true, or can I buy one for the MIM design?

Thanks in advance

A scratch plate made for a standard MIA jazz should fit a MIM, when I took the one off my MIA & hovered it over my MIM out of interest it seemed to pretty much line up the same.

Try this place: [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/[/url]

I got a replacement guard for my MIM years ago from here & also one for my MIA fairly recently & both fit great!

[quote name='Mecklenburg' post='477089' date='May 1 2009, 03:10 PM']Thanks very much, looks like they may have what I'm after!

I'm thinking of getting the tortoise shell - red or brown? hmmm[/quote]

Get red mate, looks good on a jazz. My MIA is sunburst, it came with the red tort guard as standard, not really in to tort though so I replaced it with a black one.

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='joe_bass' post='477028' date='May 1 2009, 02:08 PM']Try this place: [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

Got mine there too - but I did have to file down the pickup hole for it to fit.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='477152' date='May 1 2009, 04:41 PM']Get red mate, looks good on a jazz. My MIA is sunburst, it came with the red tort guard as standard, not really in to tort though so I replaced it with a black one.[/quote]

I was thinking about the black too, I think i'll take a look at a few in shops before I decide as I've been having 2nd thoughts over the tort ones now!

• 3 months later...

(A slight threadjack, sorry)

I bought a scratchplate for my Squier VMJ and two problems were - wouldn't fit without reshaping and screw-holes completely in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where to get a one that might fit? The reshaping is fixable, but the screwhole problem isn't quite.

[quote name='Dave Dubya' post='580695' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:57 PM'](A slight threadjack, sorry)

I bought a scratchplate for my Squier VMJ and two problems were - wouldn't fit without reshaping and screw-holes completely in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where to get a one that might fit? The reshaping is fixable, but the screwhole problem isn't quite.[/quote]

I had this problem with my MIM jazz bass. It had a white guard I wanted to change to Tort but the new guard had slightly off screw holes. I just drilled new holes into the bass with the basic premise that 1) I'll never get sick of tort on white bass and 2) It's highly unlikely I'll ever sell that bass as I got lucky with it and rate it as an excellent MIM. Also, after drilling when I lined up the old plate it did cover all of the new holes so even if I did sell, why would anyone care about extra holes under the plate?

I'd recommend drilling if you are planning on sticking with the bass.

most good parts outlets will state if the pickguard is for a Squier or a Fender USA or MIM as they are known to differ. If it doesn't specify, then be careful to ask first, then at least you can have some come-back if it's wrong. Plenty of scratchplate/pickguard replacements available on a google search.

• 5 weeks later...