Why become a member? ×

Oh no I damaged the little wire

Hi folks.

I hope someone can advise. I put my fabulous Waza Air Bass headphones in their fancy case last night. all carefully folded. This morning, one of the little wire to one of the headphones is cut halfway through. This must be a result of folding them and accidentally trapping the wire against one of the adjustable metal brackets. Sound now only comes from one earpiece, along with a loud static hiss. To say I am bummed is an understatement.

I wrote to Boss/Roland, who say that they are afraid it may not be fixable, but to contact one of their recommended freelance maintenance guys.

Has anyone used and would recommend any of their suggested repairers? Or does anyone know someone who might be able to help? I am tempted to dismantle the buggers myself, but i know I can quite capable of royally screwing this up.  Anyone got any wise words/suggestions?

IMG_4482.jpeg

• Sad 1

Oh no - I baby my Waza Air Bass for fear of this kind of thing happening. It seems that with the design of the headphones and the case, it is almost inevitable.

Although I'm fairly handy with most common soldering jobs, I don't think I would tackle this myself if mine went a similar way for fear of causing more damage. I would imagine that one of the chaps Roland recommend should be able to make an effective repair. I hope you are able to get it fixed and its not too expensive for you.

Thanks very much for that. I didn't realise the case was actively a threat to the headphones. And I am very careful with my kit.

I have gingerly opened up the earpiece, and I count TEN separate wires coming out of the rubber sheath! There are six or seven processor chips on the little motherboard. The actual solder connecting for the wires are in a neat and easily accessible row on the underside of the motherboard.

I'm a little surprised and annoyed that Roland's response was to say they did not think they were repairable, when it looks to me like they could be. Plus I think the likelihood of pinching the cable in the case is a design fault.

I will continue to investigate this. Anyone else care to chip in?

It should be possible to cut, tidy up, re-attach and shrink wrap the wires, but it's hard to see the wiring configuration. As you say, taking the phones apart and replacing the whole wire could be complicated. Roland probably don't want to be bothered with it, but I'm sure a decent tech could figure it out.

• Like 1

I think it is non-viable to cut and tidy the wires, and then re-solder. There are ten tiny wires in there, some covered and some bare. I think the best solution would be to replace the whole wire. It's not like the motherboard is fried or something like that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I think it is non-viable to cut and tidy the wires, and then re-solder. There are ten tiny wires in there, some covered and some bare. I think the best solution would be to replace the whole wire. It's not like the motherboard is fried or something like that.

Oh blimey ok…. Don’t go down that road then!

It seems to me that the whole section of wire needs replacing, but it should be possible by a skilled tech/electrician. Trouble is you might need Roland to supply the replacement parts. 

Did they give you details of any Roland recognised repair folks?

I did this repair on a different brand of headphones, cutting and re-soldering. It was a nightmare. We were talking about homoeopathic levels of copper in the wire, which made soldering next to impossible.

Saying all that, it wasn't impossible and someone better than me probably can do it without too much difficulty. The headphones I fixed were cheap so maybe you may be pleasantly surprised with these Boss ones.

They did indeed tell me there was a list of freelance repair people. I asked earlier if anyone had used recommended Roland/Boss repairers. No replies yet. Below are some gut shots. I twas tiny and fiddly in there, but I managed to get the wee motherboard off and flipped over to see the wiring connections. The wires are TINY! It was also a bugger to get the thing back together.

IMG_4489.jpeg

IMG_4490.jpeg