Why become a member? ×

Neodymium PJ pickups

Rayman

I bought a used set of the Alan Entwhistle pickups for a project. Unfortunately in the process one of the magnets popped off the bottom of the J pickup. Does it matter which way round it goes back on? Or is it “just a magnet” that you whack back in there and crack on?

24 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Does it matter which way round it goes back on?

Afraid it matters. Good news is it's easy fixed 🙂

Just look at the magnet, there should be signs of glue or sticky label. Either match the sticky label or put it on glue face down 👍

• Like 1

That’s the irritating part, the magnets are really clean on all sides, hard to tell which way they go back in. 

Once back together and all hooked up again, the bridge (jazz) pickup is out of phase (sounds very weak). So it needs to come out again 

14 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

I would imagine attract each other...

Some pics here..

https://reverb.com/item/56383159-entwistle-jbxn-bass-bridge-and-neck-w-neodymium-magnets-2021-black

Can you not see glue outline left on the bobbin,or residue on the magney

Also from those pictures, it looks like the magnets don’t touch in the middle 

If I can be bothered I’ll get a little compass to work out N & S polarity…. Not sure I care anymore 🤦🏻‍♂️

I dug a set of JBXN out the drawer last night, the magnets meet in the middle. Another thing was the polarity is reversed, neck and bridge will snap together so watch your fingers 😁

I wonder if you might have the split coil the same polarity as the single coil and that's causing the phase issue. 

Hmmm interesting. It’s frustrating to me because I’m fine with most tech stuff, but electronics are my Achilles heel, and pickups are a mystery to me. The problem was that the covers are really chunky and wouldn’t fit in the routs, so I popped the covers off top put them into the original Fender ones (into which they fit perfectly), but in so doing the jazz pup magnets dislodged. I haven’t a clue how they go back together. 

For the sake of 25 quid for a new one, I might just do that…. OR, go for something else.

email Alan, he's super helpful ime, he can probably tell you how to reassemble correctly. There must be a process they follow in the factory to ensure correct polarity and phase so that the pickups sound as good as possible and match as pairs; he may well have something to advise about PJ set up as afaik they don't sell PJ sets, but obviously they can be made up buying single pickups, which may or not be ideal ? Is there a standard for polarity for neck and bridge 'jazz' pickups, if so it should be published and manufacturers follow it (or not) ?