Why become a member? ×

Passive tone pedal or upgrade the preamp in my Dingwall Combustion - should I just make one?

kwmlondon

Hi basschat folks. I've got a question about adding a passive tone control to my setup. I've got a Dingwall Combustion and, honestly, I never use the active circuit - I just leave the batteries out and use the switch as a handy mute control. I do really miss a passive tone though for songs where I want a darker tone, but it's important I can turn it off/on easily rather than fiddle with the treble on an amp. I'm toying with the idea of changing the circuit to a Glockenklang one on the bass as the treble on that acts as a passive tone when the preamp's off, but that'd be a faff and expense especially as I'd not trust my own ham-fisted soldering so it'd be off to a tech to sort.

Would I be bonkers to buy a few components and make my own passive tone pedal? I could even have a selector for different caps. 

Has anyone done this?

I don't remember seeing a passive tone pedal. I've owned a couple of pedals that can do a similar thing though: The Aguilar Octamizer 'clean tone' dial (just leave the octave level on zero), and the Creation Audio Glizzly 'high cut' control. 

• Like 1

You're complicating the idea.

Simply use your active/passive switch to have two different tones: a passive tone with all the balls, and a darker tone in the active mode.

Then just flip the switch for these two different tones that you can still adjust in the active mode.

A passive tone in a separate box will be a real pain in the āss, as the tone will vary with the cable length due the passive path being high impedance (loss of highs linked to the length) and very sensitive to the capacitance of the cable used too, so the tone itself can change very quickly depending on the length and type of cable used, and I don't even mention the buzzing and earthing issues you'll get: forget it.

• Like 3

I bought a kit from FretNation in the USA to change my volume to a stacked Volume/Tone control. Works in active or passive mode. It was just a couple of wires to solder and I had to enlarge the hole a bit to get the stacked pot in, but I'm really happy with the result.

In hindsight, I could have just bought a stacked pot, but I knew that it would come with the matching knobs, so went this route. 

PXL_20230313_121230562.thumb.jpg.fc0cac36fb75ad0d481cc8b9dffd8960.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

You're complicating the idea.

Simply use your active/passive switch to have two different tones: a passive tone with all the balls, and a darker tone in the active mode.

Then just flip the switch for these two different tones that you can still adjust in the active mode.

A passive tone in a separate box will be a real pain in the āss, as the tone will vary with the cable length due the passive path being high impedance (loss of highs linked to the length) and very sensitive to the capacitance of the cable used too, so the tone itself can change very quickly depending on the length and type of cable used, and I don't even mention the buzzing and earthing issues you'll get: forget it.

So, take down the treble on the amp to get the passive-type tone I want and then use the active to whack them up? Maybe it'd work but I find the idea of cutting frequencies then having to use an active circuit to add them back goes against my approach. Question though, if I added a tone control in the guitar body how would that be any different to having it a pedal? Would the problem be the addition of an extra length of instrument cable creating the problem?

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to keep an eye out for a graphic eq pedal? 

6 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I bought a kit from FretNation in the USA to change my volume to a stacked Volume/Tone control. Works in active or passive mode. It was just a couple of wires to solder and I had to enlarge the hole a bit to get the stacked pot in, but I'm really happy with the result.

In hindsight, I could have just bought a stacked pot, but I knew that it would come with the matching knobs, so went this route. 

PXL_20230313_121230562.thumb.jpg.fc0cac36fb75ad0d481cc8b9dffd8960.jpg

I mean, that looks fantastic, but I've upgraded the pots on mine to the Dingwall ones and I really like them so stacked pots would be a major annoyance. I know. I'm being picky here...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Could also just take out the preamp, wire in a tone control and put in two "producer knobs" that aren't connected to anything?

You know, I have thought about this. I've also thought about widening one of the holes to put an output jack there as I HATE the positioning as standard, but we're getting into seriously messing about with an expensive bass. I think the reason I've not used the eq is down to not playing live much. I think it may be a bit more useful in a gigging context, but from what I hear the Glockenglang is a better preamp anyway.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

You know, I have thought about this. I've also thought about widening one of the holes to put an output jack there as I HATE the positioning as standard, but we're getting into seriously messing about with an expensive bass. I think the reason I've not used the eq is down to not playing live much. I think it may be a bit more useful in a gigging context, but from what I hear the Glockenglang is a better preamp anyway.

I had a Combustion and I'm with you on your wish list: Passive tone control, and I always prefer a front facing jack. Also, I would have liked to be able to blend between the pickups. Great basses though (the main reason for selling mine was it was quite a heavyweight at about 4.5kg but I know they aren't all as heavy). 

4 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

Question though, if I added a tone control in the guitar body how would that be any different to having it a pedal?

The shorter the path, the better with high impedance circuits.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

I had a Combustion and I'm with you on your wish list: Passive tone control, and I always prefer a front facing jack. Also, I would have liked to be able to blend between the pickups. Great basses though (the main reason for selling mine was it was quite a heavyweight at about 4.5kg but I know they aren't all as heavy). 

Yep. Mine's quite heavy but with a nice padded Mono strap I've gotten used to it. I'm happier just having 4 positions though, no blend - I'd just end up dicking about with settings all the time otherwise. I'm very, very taken with the bass though and part of me would fancy getting a Canadian one, but the other part of me (the one that knows how much is in the bank) is just laughing at the idea.

I'll just keep an eye out for a cheap eq pedal I recon.

Cheers for all your input though. Much appreciated.

• Like 1