Why become a member? ×

Live at the Bedford Balham

jakenewmanbass

I did a gig at the Bedford in Balham back in January with a project that I am MD for, I think for a live recording straight off the desk with literally nothing done to it it ain't half bad. what do you guys think.
If it's not your kind of music please don't bother to comment about that, I am however interested in peoples thoughts on the live sound and the performance, but would really like to avoid a debate on genre based merit. :)
Jake
anyway here:
[attachment=24619:5._No_Mo..._bedford.mp3]

Edited by jakesbass

You play for Yamit Mamo? Good sh*t! (I'll comment with some feedback once I've had a listen.)

EDIT: That's a really groovy arrangement and I'm amazed that that's an untreated feed from the desk. The only thing I'd say is that the drummer could play with more snap on the main groove. All the breaks and accents are wicked though.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='476492' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:12 PM']You play for Yamit Mamo? Good sh*t! (I'll comment with some feedback once I've had a listen.)

EDIT: That's a really groovy arrangement and I'm amazed that that's an untreated feed from the desk. The only thing I'd say is that the drummer could play with more snap on the main groove. All the breaks and accents are wicked though.[/quote]

Thanks Man, I agree about the backbeat, I was making notes to take to rehearsal next week, It's a young band (apart from me) I have worked quite hard on the dynamics and pace of the grooves (all about how the vocals sit) that drummer was on his second gig with the band there, so hats off really. There's work to do..... always.
We are at the Bedford again next tues, one of Tony Moores' nights, if you're around come say hello.
Jake

I don't know how far you're allowed to go working on the drummer as MD but I'd love to hear those snares a fraction ahead of the beat. If he's quite a young guy a concept like that might throw him off completely! I'd love to hear a few more ghost notes on the snare too and maybe a few funky kicks as well, without it getting busy or too funky.

It's not like the drumming was bad or anything. It would just transform the whole thing if it was a little snappier.

EDIT: Depending on how work goes on Tuesday, I'll probably pop along for the next gig!

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='476550' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:51 PM']I don't know how far you're allowed to go working on the drummer as MD[/quote]
Lol... I OWN HIM..... :)
[quote name='The Funk' post='476550' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:51 PM']EDIT: Depending on how work goes on Tuesday, I'll probably pop along for the next gig![/quote]
would be great to meet you, no pressure though mate we gig lots in London, so plenty of chances.

Edited by jakesbass

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mr Funk has done all the crit work necessary on this - I just wanted to say how much I dug both the groove and the vocals and that was some lovely/tasteful/musical bass playing sir - keep at it I'm sure this lot can only get better - nice overall vibe - but perhaps a little more energy wouldn't hurt - I guess that's easy to remedy. Also depends if you are having a good gig or not...! I know with my own bands sometimes things go bad/or sound bad due to venue, personal things like being tired etc - and it does affect the music.

Anyway really good stuff - post more things you are doing - it's good to hear some souly funk grooves around these parts (as well as all the solo-noodle bass stuff!)

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='483470' date='May 9 2009, 12:43 AM']I think Mr Funk has done all the crit work necessary on this - I just wanted to say how much I dug both the groove and the vocals and that was some lovely/tasteful/musical bass playing sir - keep at it I'm sure this lot can only get better - nice overall vibe - but perhaps a little more energy wouldn't hurt - I guess that's easy to remedy. Also depends if you are having a good gig or not...! I know with my own bands sometimes things go bad/or sound bad due to venue, personal things like being tired etc - and it does affect the music.

Anyway really good stuff - post more things you are doing - it's good to hear some souly funk grooves around these parts (as well as all the solo-noodle bass stuff!)

Mike[/quote]
Thanks Mike, we do put a bit more energy in to some of the tunes, bv singers do some dancing etc but yeah got to keep the vibe up I agree. That is one of the slower more soulful grooves though.
Cheers
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

It's an extremely good recording, I actually like it better than the studio version. Very tight but I have to agree with The Funk about the drummer's performance. He was possibly playing it safe if he is new to the outfit. Yamit's voice is more expressive to my mind than the studio recording. I think this sort of music lends itself better to high quality live recordings tbh. That your Alembic? Sounds lovely, very open and damn growly.

[quote name='silddx' post='488117' date='May 14 2009, 05:46 PM']It's an extremely good recording, I actually like it better than the studio version. Very tight but I have to agree with The Funk about the drummer's performance. He was possibly playing it safe if he is new to the outfit. Yamit's voice is more expressive to my mind than the studio recording. I think this sort of music lends itself better to high quality live recordings tbh. That your Alembic? Sounds lovely, very open and damn growly.[/quote]
Thanks Mate :)
Interesting... the studio version was me on Cahon as well as upright bass (and other bits of percussion) I find the high quality reference interesting as this was off the desk no treatment or mastering, it's just been normalised to go to disk.
This is pretty much a collective arrangement although Yamit is responsible for all the vocals.

BTW I'm waiting to hear back about a few rehearsals before I pass some dates your way :rolleyes:
Edit:
Oh, and yes it's the Alembic, It's a joy to play and it sounds 'kin great doesn't it

Edited by jakesbass

It really is a very good recording. I've had some live desk stuff of ours and been amazed at the quality.

Hope you got my email, looking forward to hearing from you.

BTW, I just got back from purgatory, don't EVER go to Blackpool, it's 'orrible :)

[quote name='silddx' post='488305' date='May 14 2009, 10:35 PM']It really is a very good recording. I've had some live desk stuff of ours and been amazed at the quality.

Hope you got my email, looking forward to hearing from you.

BTW, I just got back from purgatory, don't EVER go to Blackpool, it's 'orrible :)[/quote]

He He don't I know it I was working there one summer season for six months behind Joe Pasquale and the twins from neighbours (they were all great) but Blackpool is a shithole.
Got the email cheers, be in touch asap

Edited by jakesbass

• 2 weeks later...

Great recording sound, great vocals and bass playing. Funnily enough I graciously dissagree with Mr. Funk and Mr. Urb, two authorities in the business of Funk, I think the way the drums are played gives the song an extra rubberband effect. That's how I feel it.