Why become a member? ×

Dive! Dive! Dive!

Rayman

On 14/05/2023 at 00:04, ezbass said:

Bring out a medium or short scale ‘bird and I’m all over it.

Gibson did, back in 2011. It was a limited edition of only 400, but with a set neck rather than neck-through and without the trademark thinner body wings glued to a thicker core. 

https://reverb.com/item/65918329-gibson-limited-edition-thunderbird-short-scale-bass-03-06-2011-satin-ebony

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/05/2023 at 06:06, Rayman said:

Yep, it dives like Ronaldo if you let go

Poor ergonomics = hard pass. There are plenty of options that mean I don't have to hold the neck up. I'm glad you like it, but I simply don't get the masochism involved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Poor ergonomics = hard pass. There are plenty of options that mean I don't have to hold the neck up. I'm glad you like it, but I simply don't get the masochism involved.

I hear you…… maybe it’s the same reason I let Mrs Rayman whip me with a horse crop on a Saturday night….. I don’t know 

9 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I hear you…… maybe it’s the same reason I let Mrs Rayman whip me with a horse crop on a Saturday night….. I don’t know 

Friday night not good enough for you? 🤣

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

Not sure what sort of t-bird this is but was surprised to see the bassist in the Levellers playing one 

Me too, but the element of surprise had lost its effect by the time I reached the 5th post :lol:

• Haha 3

I think the assumption is, that a Thunderbird = ROCK !! But I’m finding mine to be perfect for funk, jazz, dub, hip hop and indie…. I absolutely love the tones. It’s more versatile than you think, if you move your fingering positions around and play with the controls.

The only real downside is the ergonomics in terms of the neck dive, and you can’t get away from the stretch to the nut, unless you sling it low and hold the neck up. 

I honestly didn’t want to like it as much as I do, it was just a project, but it sounds SO good. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I think the assumption is, that a Thunderbird = ROCK !! But I’m finding mine to be perfect for funk, jazz, dub, hip hop and indie…. I absolutely love the tones. It’s more versatile than you think, if you move your fingering positions around and play with the controls.

The only real downside is the ergonomics in terms of the neck dive, and you can’t get away from the stretch to the nut, unless you sling it low and hold the neck up. 

I honestly didn’t want to like it as much as I do, it was just a project, but it sounds SO good. 

Doesn’t/didn’t Horace Panter use one with The Specials?

T’birds do have the perception of being a rock bass and I can see why. However, if folk pigeonhole any instrument, they’re missing a trick (the story of Ozzy, with Randy Rhodes pitching up to the audition with a Les Paul springs to mind).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Doesn’t/didn’t Horace Panter use one with The Specials?

T’birds do have the perception of being a rock bass and I can see why. However, if folk pigeonhole any instrument, they’re missing a trick (the story of Ozzy, with Randy Rhodes pitching up to the audition with a Les Paul springs to mind).

Indeed ….. very cool looking too, and sounding fabulous of course.

Yep, you can play any genre on any bass. If the instrument fits you, then play whatever the heck you want on it, it’s just a bass, that’s all.

• Like 1