Why become a member? ×

Strings for Parlour size Acoustic Bass

I've got one of the Ibanez PNB14E parlour size (scale 24") Acoustic Basses.

The A string has broken so I'm looking to re-string it totally.

It has the Daddario Taylor GS size strings on it from the factory, but they're expensive and in short supply.

Was thinking to just put long scale strings on it (cut, obviously), or maybe short scale ones (again probably have to cut them, so no difference to getting long scale ones really), anyone got any better suggestions? 

are you looking for Acoustic-style Phosphor bronze strings? If so then i'd get in contact with Newtone for some custom ones, they're not as expensive as you would think and they will be able to make strings tailored for the scale and tension that you want. I've been using their acoustic strings for 15 years and they last really well and the tone is unparalleled.

looking at the gauges of the D'addario ones (37,50,62,90) and putting that into the custom string configurator gives a price of 27.50 for phosphor bronze on hex core, it's a bit more (a few quid) for the platinum spec strings which have a smoother feel. they will take a couple of weeks to arrive but will be made to your spec. as the D'addario ones are over 40 a set this is a real bargain.

I'm currently waiting for a huge order myself and have a 5 string stainless set being made for my Swift short scale 5.

Newtone custom string configurator

Matt

Edited by Matt P
added link
  • Like 4

Just now, Matt P said:

are you looking for Acoustic-style Phosphor bronze strings? If so then i'd get in contact with Newtone for some custom ones, they're not as expensive as you would think and they will be able to make strings tailored for the scale and tension that you want. I've been using their acoustic strings for 15 years and they last really well and the tone is unparalleled.

looking at the gauges of the D'addario ones (37,50,62,90) and putting that into the custom string configurator gives a price of 27.50 for phosphor bronze on hex core, it's a bit more (a few quid) for the platinum spec strings which have a smoother feel. they will take a couple of weeks to arrive but will be made to your spec. as the D'addario ones are over 40 a set this is a real bargain.

I'm currently waiting for a huge order myself and have a 5 string stainless set being made for my Swift short scale 5.

Matt

Excellent info Matt, thanks!

• Like 1

I have the same Ibanez bass and love it! However, I believe that the only strings that work well

on this model are the D’Addario ones you mention , that were originally designed for the Taylor

GS mini bass. Think it’s something to do with string construction / tension for the very short scale

length? (bronze wound over a multi filament core. )

It looks like the original set ( EXPPBB190G) are either in short supply or have been superseded by

the XTB3790GS set, which are currently in stock at Bax Music for £35. Think Amazon sell them

too along with other retailers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I have the same Ibanez bass and love it! However, I believe that the only strings that work well

on this model are the D’Addario ones you mention , that were originally designed for the Taylor

GS mini bass. Think it’s something to do with string construction / tension for the very short scale

length? (bronze wound over a multi filament core. )

It looks like the original set ( EXPPBB190G) are either in short supply or have been superseded by

the XTB3790GS set, which are currently in stock at Bax Music for £35. Think Amazon sell them

too along with other retailers.

More excellent info - Thanks casapete!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that Martin have got on the short scale acoustic bass bandwagon, and have also

come up with some strings for it which sound very much like the D’Addarios mentioned earlier.
Martin M4750 Acoustic Bass Junior Series Phosphor Bronze strings are for 24” scale

length instruments, in gauges 45-96. Not sure if they’re on sale here yet, so will be 

interesting to see how they price them.

• Like 2

Got a set of the D'addarios on the way from BAX shop.

More expensive than I'm usually willing to pay for strings at £35 a set, but the ones that came on the bass have lasted 3 years, and only the A string actually broke, so I shouldn't grumble really! 

Thanks for all the inputs chaps!

• Like 1