Why become a member? ×

Changing A Bass Bridge. Have you done it?

bassjim

31 minutes ago, Owen said:

Apparently Koalas are not drunk. They are permanently stoned. What they eat (eucalyptus?) sends them, maaaaaan. 

This state also accounts for the fact that they have a musky aroma about them becuase hygine is not their top priority. I have students who are living that same way.

To get back on topic, I changed a bridge once because I had to know. At best? 5% difference and that was negative. With a Baddass bridge. For the record, changing my EMG preamp from 9v to 18v was also a collosal "Is that it? Really?" event.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Gotoh bridges are ace - the 201 springs to mind, but they do a nice vintage one too.

That's the 203. It looks like a BBOT, but is chromed brass and a bit beefier but still vintage looking. Very nice bridge and a snip at under £30.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

That's the 203. It looks like a BBOT, but is chromed brass and a bit beefier but still vintage looking. Very nice bridge and a snip at under £30.

Never once bought Gotoh anything and thought “that could be better”

• Like 3

If I recall some of USA PBass have the HiMass bridge .. not sure which model perhaps the Performer Series ?

I swopped both of mine ( straight swop ) to Fender HiMass ) and it’s never had an issue with loose screws since. 

Action adjustment was fine and it in my opinion just looks nicer and has Fender stamped on it 👍

Simplest improvement to a bass and worth doing. Tone and sustain are the same though it just looks better 

Swapping a bridge over is fairly simple on a Fender. As long as you make sure you get a compatible bit of hardware (ie five screw-holes correctly aligned) and the right screwdriver, it's a straightforward job. I've had a few bridges in my time (cue; "what did you do in the war, granddad?" jibes) and I didn't feel they changed the sound of the instrument profoundly at all. Aesthetically, they made a difference, but in terms of tone - not so much. I have a Badass II on a Fender bass, which is OK, but it's a big ol' lump of metal to have on a bass. One of my main gigging basses has a Schaller 3D bridge installed and it's superb. It's not got a huge footprint, and having the option to alter the string spacing can be a real boon. My bridge of choice on a budget is the Wilkinson WBBC bridge with brass saddles. It's a drop-in Fender bridge replacement, it looks great, does the job brilliantly and you don't need to sell vital organs to be able to afford one. 

• Like 2

I've got an original 2tek bridge on my P bass. Thing is mental. 

I've also got a BAII on my jazz.

On the P bass I'm currently building i will be putting a vintage style bridge on.

Edited by lidl e

On 30/04/2023 at 16:06, Owen said:

To get back on topic, I changed a bridge once because I had to know. At best? 5% difference and that was negative. With a Baddass bridge. For the record, changing my EMG preamp from 9v to 18v was also a collosal "Is that it? Really?" event.

I’m not sure I could tell much difference sound wise with a Badass II, but at least the saddles didn’t jump about and undo every time I changed strings, it was in every way more stable. The other thing it did though was add unnecessary weight, not a huge problem. I payed next to nothing for it used though, so it went on. Not sure I’d pay full price. 

I’ve got a Charvel with a Badass style bridge and I’m tempted to try a vintage style one. It’s a really dark sounding bass and I’m sure the bridge might play a part in that.

Edited by How1