Why become a member? ×

Usb b to MIDI din?

KingBollock

I have recently acquired an electric drum kit, an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit. The module has MIDI connections, as well as a USB b. I have a Native Instruments A25 keyboard and an Akai MPD218. Unfortunately, both only have USB b outputs.

If I could connect one of them to the drum module, I can use it to trigger its sounds, keeping it all discrete, not having to go through my PC, which is too far away from the kit for me to see what’s going on. Keeping it discrete is important for other reasons, too.

I have seen MIDI host boxes that cost over £70, but I really, really don’t want to have to spend that much. Does anyone know of a cheaper (much cheaper) way of going about it?

You want to be able to trigger the drum sounds on the Alesis module using either the NI keyboard or the Akai pads?

I'm not 100% with USB over MIDI because I try and avoid it where ever possible, but my understanding of USB in general is that it is a "dumb" protocol and requires a "computer" host somewhere in the chain to organise everything. Although the protocol has been abused by low-cost manufacturers over the years the original reason for having USB A and USB B connectors was that USB A sockets were on the host device and USB B on the one(s) being controlled. All your devices have USB B sockets so they will be expecting to be connected to a "smart" host like a computer in order to function. MIDI over USB isn't the same as MIDI using old-fashioned DIN sockets, even though the end result appears to be, how the data is managed is entirely different.

MIDI DIN to USB leads all have USB A plug on them because they are also "dumb" devices and need to be connected to a computer to function.

You have two options. Either buy a stand-alone host box or replace the keyboard and pads with ones that also have traditional MIDI DIN sockets on them.

• Like 3

This sort of thing might do the job:

https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

However, I suspect you are probably in for quite a ride in terms of getting the appropriate channels worked out to trigger the sounds you need, as if it's not a 'top of the line' module, edit functions for midi triggering might be limited. Looking at the Nitro module, editing functions seem quite basic so it may just not have the functionality you're after. 

• Like 2

Ah well. Thanks guys. You’ve confirmed what I thought anyway, but I figured it was worth asking someone more knowledgable  than me (but then, I could have done that by just standing at the garden gate and shouting my questions at random people passing by…).

I have remembered that I do actually own a keyboard that will do the job… But it’s an old, cheapo Yamaha, with small, non-velocity sensitive, non-weighted keys. I just wish the damned thing didn’t take up so much space! It’s actually hiding behind my amps because it was standing where the drum kit is now, and getting in the way… But it’s got the midi sockets that’ll allow me to use it to do what I need, and I always think it’s a shame when an instrument (such as it is) is hidden and not used.

I will also be using the kit through my PC. It’s just that I am only just starting to learn, and I don’t want to have to bugger about with the computer everytime I want a quick bash. As I understand, it is better to have more frequent but shorter practice sessions, which suits me, medically, too. I know I don’t really need to keep the keyboard or pad thing discrete from the PC for such sessions, but I thought it’d be fun, which is why I didn’t want to go to any expense to do it.

Edited by KingBollock

The only thing to watch with non-velocity sensitive keys is what MIDI key-on velocity value they actually output. Some will always send maximum velocity (127), but IME many will output a constant value of 64 which may make your drums sound rather weedy, as not only will the volume be down but so will any additional parameters (or sample layers depending on how the sounds on the Alesis module have been created) controlled by velocity.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The only thing to watch with non-velocity sensitive keys is what MIDI key-on velocity value they actually output. Some will always send maximum velocity (127), but IME many will output a constant value of 64 which may make your drums sound rather weedy, as not only will the volume be down but so will any additional parameters (or sample layers depending on how the sounds on the Alesis module have been created) controlled by velocity.

Thank you!

I’m not sure how much I can meddle with the midi settings for this keyboard (this thing cost me £60 or £70, nearly 20 years ago), but I shall look into it and see. At least I know it’s something to look for, so yes, thank you.

Even longer ago, my wife once surprised me with one of those electronic drum pad thingies, where all the pads are one, small unit, the pads being between about 4 and 6 inches. It was rubbish, so it went back, even though it only cost £40. But it was midi and would have worked a treat for what I am trying to do now. But I can’t seem to find the “toy grade” versions anymore, they’re all £400+. Which is a shame.

• 4 weeks later...