Why become a member? ×

What's in a name?

snorkie635

25 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Most Greek food has its roots in Turkish and middle eastern cuisine.  If you go to an Iraqi restaurant the names might be different but the dishes are similar.

Greek tzatziki is Cacik in Turkish for instance, Greek soutzokakia is pretty much the same as Turkish kofta but in some cases even the names are similar such as Greek dolmades and Turkish dolma.

σουβλάκι ή γύρος

Kebab normally refers to something you don't see in kebab shops in the UK - minced meat on a skewer somewhere between a doner and a souvlaki(shish).

We often used to get a lamb shish on the basis it at least appeared to be solid lumps of meat, rather than the dodgy laminated ply thing the doner comes off... 

This is making me hungry now 😁

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Odd really as most kebab places seem to be Turkish yet kebab is always associated with Greek.. I've often wondered about that... 

Turkey and Greece exchanged large areas of land and huge numbers of people when the borders moved in 1919 as a result of the breakup of the Ottoman empire; Greek Muslims found themselves forcibly moved to Turkey and Turkish Christians were expelled to Greece.  Both sides committed atrocities against each other.  I'd guess that the kebab was native to the area rather than one nationality or the other.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

My given name is Chris.  Way back in February 1981 I started a new job, and there were already 4 people called Chris in the team of 12.

Nick-names were already used to identify the other 4 individual Chris' so I was immediately re-named 'Chezz' (derived from my family name) - the name has been with me ever since. I added the 55 'I thought it sounded good.

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Does that mean you're 55% fruit juice?

Fruit Juice ???  -  55% Brakspears' Bitter would be a more accurate suggestion.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

We often used to get a lamb shish on the basis it at least appeared to be solid lumps of meat, rather than the dodgy laminated ply thing the doner comes off... 

This is making me hungry now 😁

I used to love doner kebabs. It’s surprising the variety you get from each kebab shop. There was always a kebab I would have a fancy for, from one shop or another. The nicest kebab I have ever had was from a place in Rugby. It was so greasy and delicious! I once had two of them for Sunday dinner (I was living with a biker gang at the time, and they were all having a roast chicken dinner. I don’t like chicken.), much to everyone’s amusement.

I tried going vegetarian once, for health reasons. I don’t normally over eat, but I eat crap. For instance, I don’t like meat if it tastes like meat, but I can eat beef and onion pies (I don’t like onion, either), pork sausages, turkey burgers and such, the crap stuff. The only thing that kept tempting me was doner kebabs. The fact that, because of my restrictive diet (I just don’t like many foods), I only had potatoes, bread and cheese left to me, didn’t help. I kept it up for the year that I told myself I would do, but caved to a kebab in the end.

And then I went right off them, I can’t stand them now. Although, after my brain op, I completely lost my sense of taste for three months, and I ate a lot of kebabs in those three months. Mainly because of the really hot chilli sauce that the local kebab shop used. All I had to me was heat (spicy heat) and texture. It is a most disconcerting feeling.