Why become a member? ×

power cable for effects pedals - help on cable gauge

Woodwind

As per the title I'm looking for help from those that know on what gauge power cable to use with effects pedals running at 9v drawing approximately 1amp.

I want to make some custom cables (length and aesthetics) to go from my power block and was worried that 0.5mm mains power cable might not be the best option?

I suspect I'm worrying about nothing as the gauge of effects power cables I have cut open in the past varies wildly.

Thanks for any pointers.

I'm looking to do the same thing and I've concluded that it's simplest to cut the DC patch cables that came with the power supply to length and put new plugs on. Cut and shut is another option but wouldn't be as neat.

• Like 2

If the length of the cable is less than half a metre then the core size is likely to be fine, its more about finding a nice robust outer and connector, so a mains-rated cable in a circular jacket is a good choice and should fit easily into the DC connector.

For 0.5mm core wire the resistance per metre is something like 0.035 ohms so it isn't going to affect your PSU voltage until you start using a few hundred metres of cable.

• Like 3