Why become a member? ×

Ric 4001 neck dimensions?

OldGit

Anyone know where I can find the dimensions of a Ric 4001 neck? Preferably a 70's one if they vary.

I'm interested in
- the width at the nut and 12 fret,
- the neck depth/thickness at the 3rd, 5th and 12th frets: that's the dimensions labeled C and D in this handy diagram from Ibanez.

- Fingerboard radius
- bridge string spacing

I'd prefer it in mm but I appreciate that Americans don't tend to speak metric :)

Thanks,
OG

Edited by OldGit

Greetings! I own two Warwick Mastermans (Mastermen?) I find the necks to be quite comfortable. They're both 34" scale; I know Rics are 33 1/2. Nonetheless here are Warwick's dimensions, taken from their site:

Also, for what its worth, I'm current building a bass with these neck dimensions, although mine will be a 35" (maybe 36"?) scale. It'll be a variation of a Warwick Buzzard/Alembic Dragon Wing (pic attached)

[i]Q: Which scale lengths are available for Warwick basses?
A: Warwick basses generally are long scale (34"). Exceptions are: Alien Acoustic Bass, Hellborg Signature Bass (medium scale, 32"), Vampyre "Dark Lord" (35", extra long scale) and the Triumph E-upright Bass (1/2 - Eb). Scale options are available only for Bolt-On models in the Warwick Custom Shop for newly ordered basses. These scales are available: short scale (30"), medium scale (32"), long scale (standard, 34") and extra long scale (35").

Q: Which string spacing does my Warwick bass have?
A: The string spacing at the bridge is as follows:

4 string: 19,00 mm
5 / 6 string standard spacing: 16,50 mm
5 / 6 string broad neck: 20,00 mm

Q: What is the nut width of a Warwick bass?
A: The nut width is as follows:

________________standard_____broad neck
4-string_________38,50 mm_____44,00 mm
5-string_________45,00 mm_____47,00 mm
6-string_________52,00 mm_____55,00 mm

Q: What is the fingerboard radius of my Warwick bass?
A: The fingerboard radius is as follows:

4 string 502 mm (20")
5 string standard 664 mm (26")
5 string broad neck / 6 string standard 1200 mm (47")
6 string broad neck 1200 mm (47")[/i]

[quote name='OldGit' post='474806' date='Apr 29 2009, 09:28 AM']Anyone know where I can find the dimensions of a Ric 4001 neck? Preferably a 70's one if they vary.

I'm interested in
- the width at the nut and 12 fret,
- the neck depth/thickness at the 3rd, 5th and 12th frets: that's the dimensions labeled C and D in this handy diagram from Ibanez.

- Fingerboard radius
- bridge string spacing

I'd prefer it in mm but I appreciate that Americans don't tend to speak metric :)

Thanks,
OG[/quote]

Rics vary from bass to bass, never mind year to year. I've recently played 3 '73s and they were all totally different, from pencil-thin to baseball-bat big. I've owned 9 and they have all felt different. Check out the Ric Resource Forum; they've done a thread about Ric neck dimensions. I think what was found was that the measurements didn't seem to vary that much but that doesn't tell the story of how different they all feel.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='475557' date='Apr 29 2009, 10:33 PM']Rics vary from bass to bass, never mind year to year. I've recently played 3 '73s and they were all totally different, from pencil-thin to baseball-bat big. I've owned 9 and they have all felt different. Check out the Ric Resource Forum; they've done a thread about Ric neck dimensions. I think what was found was that the measurements didn't seem to vary that much but that doesn't tell the story of how different they all feel.[/quote]

Hiyah,
Thanks .. Oh well ...
I was after some idea of what the wide flat ones measure. I used to have a '72 or '73 and that was really thin (dimention C) and always felt great. Hence my question.

Thanks all round.
OG

[quote name='master28' post='475319' date='Apr 29 2009, 06:09 PM']Greetings! I own two Warwick Mastermans (Mastermen?) I find the necks to be quite comfortable. They're both 34" scale; I know Rics are 33 1/2. Nonetheless here are Warwick's dimensions, taken from their site:

Also, for what its worth, I'm current building a bass with these neck dimensions, although mine will be a 35" (maybe 36"?) scale. It'll be a variation of a Warwick Buzzard/Alembic Dragon Wing (pic attached)[/quote]

Good luck with the build. There's a place for build threads on here. You could start one and document your progress. They are always interesting, especially if you take loads of photos..
There's a number of builders here too so if you have problems they can help ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='475638' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:18 AM']Hiyah,
Thanks .. Oh well ...
I was after some idea of what the wide flat ones measure. I used to have a '72 or '73 and that was really thin (dimention C) and always felt great. Hence my question.

Thanks all round.
OG[/quote]

I have a '72 which has my favourite Ric neck; it's kind of a flattened C. I'll try and measure it tomorrow.

Specs for 4001 Rickenbacker

Specifications
Body Type Solid
No. Frets 20
Scale Length 84.5 cm (33 1/4'')
[b]Neck Width at Nut 41.3 mm (1 5/8'')
Neck Width at 12th Fret 52.4 mm (2 1/16'')[/b]
Crown Radius 25.4 cm (10'')
Body Wood Maple
Neck Wood Maple
Fingerboard Wood Rosewood
Weight 4.5 kg (10.0 lbs.)
Overall Length 114.5 cm (45 1/16'')

Overall Width 33.7 cm (13 1/4'')
Overall Depth 31.8 mm (1 1/4'')
Neck Binding No
Fret Marker Style Dot

[quote name='flatwound' post='475659' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:56 AM']Specs for 4001 Rickenbacker

Specifications
Body Type Solid
No. Frets 20
Scale Length 84.5 cm (33 1/4'')
[b]Neck Width at Nut 41.3 mm (1 5/8'')
Neck Width at 12th Fret 52.4 mm (2 1/16'')[/b]
Crown Radius 25.4 cm (10'')
Body Wood Maple
Neck Wood Maple
Fingerboard Wood Rosewood
Weight 4.5 kg (10.0 lbs.)
Overall Length 114.5 cm (45 1/16'')

Overall Width 33.7 cm (13 1/4'')
Overall Depth 31.8 mm (1 1/4'')
Neck Binding No
Fret Marker Style Dot[/quote]

Thanks
Any idea what vintage these specs are from?

[quote name='OldGit' post='475744' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:23 AM']Thanks
Any idea what vintage these specs are from?[/quote]

The reference to dot markers and 33 1/4" scale might suggest that the specs are taken from a v63.

Edit: Or possibly the Chris Squire model.

There was no actual difference in scale length to the older models, just the way Rick measured it.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='OldGit' post='475744' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:23 PM']Thanks
Any idea what vintage these specs are from?[/quote]
1971 I think !
Scroll around this page and site, it may be of help to you.
[url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster_piece.asp?poster_piece=cf84-bass-6.jpg"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster...cf84-bass-6.jpg[/url]

[quote name='flatwound' post='476038' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:31 PM']1971 I think !
Scroll around this page and site, it may be of help to you.
[url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster_piece.asp?poster_piece=cf84-bass-6.jpg"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster...cf84-bass-6.jpg[/url][/quote]

Thanks The missing measurement is teeh main one really, that "dimension C", thickness at third, fith and 12th fret.

I know they are wide and slim but just how slim?
:)

[quote name='Darcy' post='478756' date='May 4 2009, 08:04 AM']Hi havn't got a micrometer thingy, but here goes...

1976 4001

Scale 84.5mm
Nut width 41mm
12th Fret width 53mm
Radius 25.4mm
Neck depth 3rd 21mm 5th 22mm 12th 23mm[/quote]

Oh Mr D'arcy!!
Thanks, that's great.