Why become a member? ×

Bass capos - does anyone use one?

Al Krow

The big advantage I can think of for a capo on a 4 string is being able to tune to D or Eb and use capo for normal tuning and key changes, as others have said. Playing 4 string also makes learning from Tab easier.

I play 5 string, because church worship bands often change keys to suit the singers/congregation. I can't read most  4 string Tab as it confuses my brain cell.

2 hours ago, krispn said:

I’d be interested to know what songs you’re currently depping and how different the keys are between the to two bands. I’m maybe lucky that we don’t have more than a tone or semi tone between our songs that it’s not that I’m moving them up or down a fret or two. 

More a case of changing key to suit our new singer (soprano) in the new band - typically between +1 to +5 semis above previous band which were generally in the original key and which had a female (alto) and male singer.

I've simply been relearning everything in the new keys that work best for new band's singer's vocal range. I'd say key changes apply to fully half our set. 

That’s a lot of relearning but I’m sure with the flexibility of the 5er you’ll be able to aim down onto the B string to keep the lows sounding meaty!

It’s where the lower string really shines in keeping the bass sounding like a bass. I’d imagine using a capo up on the 4th or 5th fret would rob you of some of that feeling of playing bass and it’s the same reason I used the 5er over a 4 string in that choir gig. There’s a point where you’re just too far up the neck!!