Why become a member? ×

Monkey business

Bleat

Has anyone else seen the amount of Bad Monkey pedals now suddenly appearing on ebay going for ridiculous prices  thanks to that JHS demo on Youtube. I was looking for a cheap overdrive pedal and thought "Might try a Bad Monkey, they don't go for much".... how wrong I was. Amazing how one man's word can price people out of what is nothing more than a cheap budget overdrive pedal.

• Like 1

Yeah.   I watched the vid.   They are indistinguishable from a Klon which go for up to 4 grand.  And they’re oop, so I get that suddenly demand is high.   They don’t sell for those silly prices though… they can still be got for £120 …which is high anyway.   And it won’t last.  They’ll come back down.    There’s a lot of them out there so even though they’re oop, they’re not rare.

l’ve got one myself. …BNIB!  I thought about advertising it to see if anyone is stupid enough to pay, but my scruples objected.

There’s a lot of hate for people selling them at inflated prices, but like all things, it a case of supply and demand.    After that vid lots of people tried to scoop one up, driving the prices up.    

Edited by GremlinAndy
  • Like 2

Yeah I get all that, just found it funny seeing so many on there. I will just look for something else. I have watched a few JHS vids and find him quite entertaining but I do think he's become too big and influential and knows it. I saw the pedals before I had seen his review. I'll wait until they are worth £25 quid again!

• Like 1

Exactly the right thing to do.  It’s just a passing fad, with lots of people thinking they’re going to make a quick Buck.   The irony is that a lot of people will have bought them at these currently inflated prices (like £120) thinking they can sell at the upper limit (£600), but not realising that the stupidly priced one just don’t sell.   Even £120 is preposterous.

Edited by GremlinAndy

I think Josh is hilarious, knowledgeable, entertaining and promotes a hell of a lot of other people's equipment.

It's not his fault if the market is so influenced by his videos.

It's just silly people being silly and greedy people being greedy.

What I got from Josh's video was that when you disregard all the hype, you can make a budget pedal sound like a klon and other more desirable pedals. Some people seemed to have missed the point though.

Heres another video where JHS did a blind A/B test with various expensive pedals versus their budget clones. The Mosky silver horse beat the genuine klon in that one - Addison thought that the $30 Silver Horse was the $7000 Klon. I enjoyed this one as I have a silver horse on my guitar board.

• Like 1