Why become a member? ×

Replacing an Ibanez MR2 bridge with an ABM hi-mass

glassmoon

Hi all

Question... I am looking at changing my MR2 matt chrome hardware (BTB556) to black.  I have contacted Ibanez in Japan, and Ibanez in the UK, and I've come up with very little by way of "positive" feedback.  I can't find any MR2 bridge units in black or even smoky chrome - anyone know if such replacement parts exist?

I am looking at the possibility of changing the bridge for an ABM hi-mass unit.  I found one on eBay which is for 17mm spacing - perfect.

image.thumb.png.413042f3c7243b9534e0beea48f4c69f.png

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut... has anyone ever seen, or heard of such a change?  In theory, it's as simple as removing the monos and replacing it with a single bridge unit - taking into account the screw holes etc.

Any advise?  Any suggestions?  Any ideas?

Kind regards

Julian (Essex, UK)

It is a pain to get anything from ibanez, i never knew why they had to be so poor. To find a part really you have to find an instrument it was used on, and then look up the catalogue for that instrument, then find someone selling that part number - doable, but a bit of a pain.

Without knowing the btbs that much, I don't see it shoudl be that much of an issue if you have got the correct spacing and height, although are the bridge parts sunk into the body like some of the SRs? If not it should be a simple swap as I seem to recall the tops of the btbs are largely flat.

If not, its only a bit of wood, what is the worst that can happen :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If not, its only a bit of wood, what is the worst that can happen :D

It is only wood hahaha - a decent woodworker could also countersink it - I've had that done before, but a long, long time ago, in a colony far, far away

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It is a pain to get anything from ibanez, i never knew why they had to be so poor.

Back in the late 70s when Ibanez were making the switch from copies to their own designs getting spare parts here in the UK was surprisingly easy. Nearly all the hardware for the guitar I was making came from Ibanez including their special versions of the "speed knobs" with the rubber grips around the edge. Sad to hear this is not the case any more.

However if you are able to get to The Gallery in Camden, it might be worth asking them as IIRC Martin was involved with Ibanez in some capacity. 

Edited by BigRedX

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

However if you are able to get to The Gallery in Camden, it might be worth asking them as IIRC Martin was involved with Ibanez in some capacity. 

Now that's very interesting... would be great to go again (it's a tube ride to Stratford and an overground to Camden thankfully).  it's been a while, and I could ask concerning HW upgrades.

Man, if it was as easy as dipping HW into paint, I'd coat all the metal black hahahaha

Thanks @BigRedX: good idea!

A couple of years ago I found that the bridge of my Ibanez gwb35 was bent, enabling me to do a proper setup. Mailed Ibanez and all the dealers I could find. When finally one replyed , the price was outrageous for a std bridge with 16,5mm spacing. That made me start to search for another brand as replacement  and hipshot ended the quest with a kickass bridge. Works like a charm and looks badass too. 

Edited by A.G.E.N.T.E.
  • Like 1

I am looking at both Hipshot and ABM.  I have had a particular liking for the ADM bridge - it just looks so "big" and "cool".... I know, it's not about that, but it is a little hahahaha

I am open to anything that works, really, as long as it does what it says on the tin.

Actually - on that point - anyone got any ideas around possible (quality) bridges?