Why become a member? ×

5 string bass virgin, any recommendations?

Hazza2004

They rarely come up but the Tony Levin signature OLP 5 string is an absolute gem and usually goes well under £350, which is a bit of a crime IMO. 

Mine had a Bartolini Pre-amp and pup, but the stock offering is very good.

Otherwise, another vote for the Sterling Ray 35s, excellent basses without paying the premium for the full on SR5, and the aforementioned Skylines.

I played a Warwick Thumb for 20 years, and beautiful it was, but I've never come across anything in their lower ranges that compares well. YMMV.

On 20/03/2023 at 13:43, Hazza2004 said:

Hi all,  

I'm looking at getting a 5er to round out the stable. Ideally I'm looking for something active but beyond that I'm fairly open to anything!  I really like the look of the Warwick Rockbass stuff so hopefully that gives you an idea of the vibe I'm going for.  I'd like to spend less than £1000.

Have at it!

Sadowsky Metro Express. made in the Warwick china factory I think

Edited by lonestar

On 21/03/2023 at 12:58, Conan said:

Great post! (Almost) saved me the bother of replying...😄

Just one more brand to chuck into the mix - G&L! For your budget you could probably get a used USA model, but to be honest I'm not sure it's necessary. The Tribute series M2500 and L2500 are fantastic basses, not just "for the money" but at any price point. With a budget of around a grand you might also be lucky enough to find a used ACG - beautiful handmade British (Scottish to be exact) instruments with mouth-watering spec levels.

I second the vote for trying out the G&L L2500. Powerful tone machine but heavy ish

• Like 1