Why become a member? ×

Please help me identify pickups on a AV Bass

AngeR

Hi guys!

A few months ago, I bought an amazing AV Bass AVJ5 secondhand. I'm very happy with the bass itself but the pickups somehow don't sound as I was expecting... Definitely don't sound like a normal J pickup, they have more a humbucker type sound. I know that these are stacked coil (people tend to say that stacked coils are more "soft" and have less highs that single coils)

When I contacted Ales Vichodyl (btw very cool guy to deal with, couldn't be more happier), he told that the bass was sold with Aguilar pickups. I really doubt that these are Aguilar.

Any ideas? Does anybody recognize the brand / maker or have any clue?

Thank you for helping me on this

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

12 minutes ago, AngeR said:

I did. He told me that the bass was sold with Aguilar pickups but I don’t think that Aguilar make stacked coil pickups

Me blind, sorry.

If you have a DMM, check the resistance. It may give a hint of the type. If you have magnet, or a compass, you can check the polarities.

Side by side humbucking pickups, like Status, the magnets are opposite, half N and half S.

https://www.aguilaramp.com/wp-content/uploads/aguilar-pickup-DCB-5J.pdf

These are side by side humbucking.

Edited by itu

14 hours ago, itu said:

Me blind, sorry.

If you have a DMM, check the resistance. It may give a hint of the type. If you have magnet, or a compass, you can check the polarities.

Side by side humbucking pickups, like Status, the magnets are opposite, half N and half S.

I am pretty sure OP's pickups are stacked coils (on top of each other), not split coil (side by side), ("faux singlecoil") humbuckers.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, itu said:

Me blind, sorry.

Just tested with a magnet and definetly not a side by side humbucker. One pickup is N and the other is S

• Like 1