Why become a member? ×

Need help with an Aria Sinsonido bass electronics

K Barad

7 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I've just received a Zoom MS60b today and briefly tried it with my Sinsonido, using the Fishman and Punch Factory patches (AcBsPre and OptComp) gets good results.

That's interesting - let us know how you get on with the Sinsonido -> MS60B

6 hours ago, sandy_r said:

That's interesting - let us know how you get on with the Sinsonido -> MS60B

I did buy it for my daughter to use but she's not gonna learn how to set it up so it's down to me to read the manual and put a nice chain together for her. I don't usually like multi FX but it's a brilliant little thing, I'm gonna try the envelope filters out later and will probably grab one for myself if I like them.

She needed a decent tuner pedal anyway so might as well get the whole shebang in a simiar sized box!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I did buy it for my daughter to use but she's not gonna learn how to set it up so it's down to me to read the manual and put a nice chain together for her. I don't usually like multi FX but it's a brilliant little thing, I'm gonna try the envelope filters out later and will probably grab one for myself if I like them.

She needed a decent tuner pedal anyway so might as well get the whole shebang in a simiar sized box!

They're great little things. Life is even easier if you create patches using the (free!) Tonelib-Zoom program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the very slow reply (kids keep me way too busy to check things I need to.  I need time to go through all this on a bigger screen properly but finding others with similar issues, possible answers and great taste in bass style is a great Christmas surprise for me 

I may get back in touch depending on what I decide but this is a the first time I've actually managed to get info

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K Barad said:

Sorry for the very slow reply (kids keep me way too busy to check things I need to.  I need time to go through all this on a bigger screen properly but finding others with similar issues, possible answers and great taste in bass style is a great Christmas surprise for me 

I may get back in touch depending on what I decide but this is a the first time I've actually managed to get info

hi, no worries, the important thing is that you're not alone - either in owning a Sinsonido, or in dealing with an electronics issue on it - we can help each other - @lemmywinks, @Aalin, @Richard R and @GetFletch have all been able to contribute some useful info

there's a separate thread, here on BC, with some more options for fixing/replacing the electronics 

Aria Sinsonido bass, control electronics/PCB

HTH

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given that the standard Sinsonido uses acoustic pickups (electret mics, not piezo), i've been experimenting by applying some effects thro' a Zoom B2.1u, to see if i can get a DB-like sound.  I've found that 3 aspects of the raw Sinso sound can be tweaked to give useful results:-

• increasing the initial 'attack' of plucked notes;
  • emphasising the low-end and some string 'rattle' frequencies, reducing mids;
  • adding very slight reverb, to simulate DB 'body' sound

it's only a subtle change to the raw sound, but it does seem to make the difference between a very dry 'direct-in' sound and a slightly more 'ambient' hollow-body feel.  Listening tests have been headphone-based currently, so next step will be to do an  A/B comparison using the Zoom with amp & speakers

Sinso new PCB, Tflat, + Zoom effects(A):

Sinso new PCB, Tflat, + Zoom effects(B):

Sinso new PCB, Tflat, 'dry' audio:

Edited by sandy_r

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I also have a tale of woe regarding my Sinsonido.

Mine has a very low output, though the controls work correctly. It is the version with the single PCB and no external power supply.

I would be really interested in a "drop in" replacement PCB if Sandy's design has proved feasible.

Regards,

Paul

On 06/04/2024 at 10:58, Veg said:

Hi all, I also have a tale of woe regarding my Sinsonido.

Mine has a very low output, though the controls work correctly. It is the version with the single PCB and no external power supply.

I would be really interested in a "drop in" replacement PCB if Sandy's design has proved feasible.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul (and welcome to Bass Chat!)

In common with many circuits in equipment 15 or more years old, Sinsinido preamp PCBs are also starting to need attention, due to ageing of the electrolytic capacitors. Symptoms of the failing caps can vary between inoperative controls, oscillation, loss of signal and heavy current drain from the battery

Early attempts to replace PCBs from Aria have been somewhat successful, but over the last 10 years or more even this level of support appears to have dwindled

Several BCers have been able to make good progress with repair/replacement with different approaches: 

• @lemmywinks replaced the Aria electret bridge-mics with a piezo element and standard preamp PCB; 
  • @Richard R initiated & led a successful team effort (whilst on the SoS forum) to reverse-engineer an Aria PCB, identify the issue and repair the unit; 
  • i've been able replicate Richard's work as well as successfully creating a hybrid pcb loosely-based on the Aria design, and in addition just create a new circuit based on a single JFET preamp/tone stage

All these different approaches have successfully overcome the component-ageing issues of Sinsonido PCBs - none are commercial enterprises, however, so if you prefer, or need, to obtain a drop-in PCB rather than DIY you'd have to arrange for someone with the relevant skillset and tools to use the designs posted here and build (or mod?) a PCB for you

Until recently i've been able to do some practical work on these preamps, with a view to assisting other Sinsonido owners here, but recent health issues have started to refocus my priorities

Apologies - probably not the answer you'd hoped for

(...nor the grammar, up with which one is prepared to put, eh @Dad3353 ? 😉 )

Edited by sandy_r
anticipating visit by grammar police
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Veg said:

Thanks Sandy,

If you don't mind me stealing your circuit diagram I will get some vero and build one.

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Paul

Feel free, Paul, that's what they're there for

Now that i've made a CNC PCB version, my vero prototype for the JFET circuit is available if you'ld like it  (you said your Sinsonido is the version without built-in DC and 2.5mm headphone jacks?).  The JFET circuit provides output mixed from both bridge mics (as opposed to only 1 on the Aria), has better Tone variation, and 2-3 times longer battery life than the original Aria board - but no headphone drive direct from the jack socket.  You'ld have to replace the pots with a slightly smaller size, or slightly enlarge the cut-outs like i did

SR-Sinso-JFET-Proto.jpg.cf16888fa7e8995fc0e48a4c9fe672f3.jpg

let me know if you want this - no cost, feed it forward

Edited by sandy_r

1 hour ago, sandy_r said:

Feel free, Paul, that's what they're there for

Now that i've made a CNC PCB version, my vero prototype for the JFET circuit is available if you'ld like it  (you said your Sinsonido is the version without built-in DC and 2.5mm headphone jacks?).  The JFET circuit provides output mixed from both bridge mics (as opposed to only 1 on the Aria), has better Tone variation, and 2-3 times longer battery life than the original Aria board - but no headphone drive direct from the jack socket.  You'ld have to replace the pots with a slightly smaller size, or slightly enlarge the cut-outs like i did

SR-Sinso-JFET-Proto.jpg.cf16888fa7e8995fc0e48a4c9fe672f3.jpg

let me know if you want this - no cost, feed it forward

That is very kind Sandy,

Will message you, 

Regards,

Paul