Why become a member? ×

Shortscale Flatwounds similar to EB Group IV flats

fretmeister

I really like EB Group IV flats (not the Cobalts) and I have them on most things.

Unfortunately EB don't do them as a shortscale and I don't think the long ones would survive being wrapped around the tuning post very well. Does anyone know of any shortscale flats that have a similar feel and tone?

They are quite bright for a flat.

La Bellas are too thuddy, Dunlop prices have gone completely stupid (and for this they are a bit too dark). So far All I've found are GHS flats, Picato, and D'addario chromes. I think Fender use their long scale ones on the JMJ Mustang but they seem a bit thuddy on youtube as well.

I'm not mad on chromes but I haven't tried the GHS or the Picato.

Any ideas? They have to be steel and not monel / excessive nickels as I react a bit to that.

ta

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2023 at 12:15, fretmeister said:

I really like EB Group IV flats (not the Cobalts) and I have them on most things.

Unfortunately EB don't do them as a shortscale and I don't think the long ones would survive being wrapped around the tuning post very well. Does anyone know of any shortscale flats that have a similar feel and tone?

They are quite bright for a flat.

La Bellas are too thuddy, Dunlop prices have gone completely stupid (and for this they are a bit too dark). So far All I've found are GHS flats, Picato, and D'addario chromes. I think Fender use their long scale ones on the JMJ Mustang but they seem a bit thuddy on youtube as well.

I'm not mad on chromes but I haven't tried the GHS or the Picato.

Any ideas? They have to be steel and not monel / excessive nickels as I react a bit to that.

ta

I actually had the Ernie Ball 95-40s on a short scale Jaguar bass, they worked fine YMMV but worked fine for me

• Like 1

TI Flats are bright and they do shortscale.  Well, they call them shortscale but they are 32" scale really but I wind the extra bit around the pole and they are fine.  Fairly low tension, too, which I like.  A lot of folks hate them, of course, and they aren't cheap.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

I actually had the Ernie Ball 95-40s on a short scale Jaguar bass, they worked fine YMMV but worked fine for me

Thank you.

I'll have to see if I've got an old set lying about somewhere that I can risk breaking if it goes wrong!

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Thank you.

I'll have to see if I've got an old set lying about somewhere that I can risk breaking if it goes wrong!

You will probably be fine as long as you are careful with them, I also had a set of Ernie Ball flats (100-45) on a short scale Mustang and they were fine on that

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/03/2023 at 18:08, TheGreek said:

Doesn't look like Fender do short versions, at least anymore. The JMJ Mustang uses the long scale ones.

So I've given that a try and I really like them. I was a bit nervous as they wound onto the machine head but they seem to be ok.

I just wish they did 45-105.

The 45 and 65 are perfect but the 80 and 100 from the 9050L set are a tiny bit floppy. But the next set up is now a 55-105 and the D & G would be too tight for me.

Can't find any singles either. I suppose I'll just have to play more gently!