Why become a member? ×

Dimarzio PBass Player Series

BassAdder60

On 02/03/2023 at 20:17, miles'tone said:

You can lower the overall pickup height with Model Ps, much lower than you would have a normal P pup. 

Really sweetens them up without losing much booty 😉

Thia is what I found.  They seem to sit somewhere between 'worryingly' low and 'these are installed wrongly' low but sound great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benthos said:

Thia is what I found.  They seem to sit somewhere between 'worryingly' low and 'these are installed wrongly' low but sound great.

Can you guys tell me what your distance is from E string to top of pickup housing fretted at last fret on your Dimarzio PBass pups ?

I know Fender stock is around 2.5 to 3mm but my Dimarzios are definitely lower ( greater string gap ) 

Edited by BassAdder60

44 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Can you guys tell me what your distance is from E string to top of pickup housing fretted at last fret on your Dimarzio PBass pups ?

I know Fender stock is around 2.5 to 3mm but my Dimarzios are definitely lower ( greater string gap ) 

Those measurements are general guidelines, and nothing more, for people who are absolutely clueless about what they want, adjust them to where you get your preferred tone and output.

When I had them installed I think they were around 3mm or so on an average from the strings (I've gone back to the EMG Geezer P pickup though. Not as full, meaty and punchy sounding as the Model P, but I personally prefer the somewhat more open, complex and articulated, more dynamic, brighter and less compressed tone of the Geezer, even if I did love what the Dimarzio Model P did too, but as with most things it depends entirely on the specific context, application, and not least the individual bass and personal preferences)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

10 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Those measurements are general guidelines, and nothing more, for people who are absolutely clueless about what they want, adjust them to where you get your preferred tone and output.

I agree and with the DM’s you have case height and pole adjustments too 

Just curious what folk found as a typical starting point. 
I think the idea is to use the poles for fine balancing tweeks etc 

Im finding the DM’s need to be a greater gap compared to a typical stock Alnico V pup as it’s such a hot pup 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I agree and with the DM’s you have case height and pole adjustments too 

Just curious what folk found as a typical starting point. 
I think the idea is to use the poles for fine balancing tweeks etc 

Im finding the DM’s need to be twice the gap of a typical stock Alnico V pup as it’s such a hot pup 

The DC resistance is actually quite similar to the EMG Geezer P, that is not particularly high and actually pretty average for a P pickup, but the magnetic field of the Model P is much stronger, which is why it works great further away from the strings and has a hotter output, not because it is overwound (as is otherwise commonly the case with most other hot P pickups on the market).

Also I found it totally unnecessary to mess with the height of the individual pole pieces, even if I guess it is nice to have that as an extra option, the 4 height adjustment points a P pickup inherently gives you was easily enough to make it possible to balance the output between the strings perfectly.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Agreed.  I measured the gap and I have a little over 5mm between fretted string and pup housing.  No adjustments made to pole pieces.  I consider myself to be firmly in the 'clueless' bracket - I am not in any way an expert at setting up pickups and it may be the case that someone on here with superior knowledge and skill can explain why that is not optimal or desirable, but the output is even across the strings, has plenty of bass and sounds good, to my ears at least.  There still appears to be plenty of casing to rest my right thumb on as and when required and for me at least it took only moments to get used to.

29 minutes ago, benthos said:

Agreed.  I measured the gap and I have a little over 5mm between fretted string and pup housing.  No adjustments made to pole pieces.  I consider myself to be firmly in the 'clueless' bracket - I am not in any way an expert at setting up pickups and it may be the case that someone on here with superior knowledge and skill can explain why that is not optimal or desirable, but the output is even across the strings, has plenty of bass and sounds good, to my ears at least.  There still appears to be plenty of casing to rest my right thumb on as and when required and for me at least it took only moments to get used to.

Mines riding at around 4mm and pole pieces are flush with case top 

I have a set of dimarzio model p in my john deacon bass. Great pickup.

However I also have a standard player precision and (after not having one for a bit) am now remembering how to use these properly. If you experiment with the volume you get different tones (with the tone on the same setting) - not just quieter/louder versions of the same thing. Opening up fully adds real edge and dare I say more wider or polyphonic sound. Winding the volume back gives some nice mellowed tones.

56 minutes ago, la bam said:

If you experiment with the volume you get different tones (with the tone on the same setting) - not just quieter/louder versions of the same thing.

That's very interesting and quite unexpected/counterintuitive.  I'll have to give that a go.