Why become a member? ×

Not a bass. Tonewood yadda yadda yadda.

Owen

I think we have a problem with terminology.

So here is the default Blender interface when I load it for the first time:

Screen-Shot-2023-02-27-at-12-55-19.png

Any application that adheres to the Macintosh way of doing things would allow me to grab the two sections on the right hand side and simply drag them to a more convenient location - in my case this would be another display, then allowing me to open the main workspace to fill the whole central display. Unfortunately they appear to be permanently attached to workspace, and while I can enlarge the workspace to fill the main display, doing so hides these sections completely which is not what I want. Also neither of the two "Window" menus appear to allow access to any of the other display parameters, that I have seen while browsing through the manual, which I where I would normally expect to find them in the Macintosh interface. Contextual menus are all very well for those who only have a single display to work with, but there should also be an option for those of us with plenty of screen real-estate to be able to have all of them permanently visible.

I suspect that this method of working has been ported from the application's native environment (Linux?) without any regard for how other graphical Operating Systems work. The whole point using the built-in GUI of a particular OS is that both the writers and users of the application don't have to "re-invent the wheel" in order to be able navigate the application. So not only am I trying to learn a brand new application, I am also having to learn a brand new interface.

On 26/02/2023 at 10:19, BigRedX said:

I think the biggest issue I have is that so far all that has been demonstrated is that the simplest part of a solid electric guitar, the body, can be 3D printed by someone with the right 3D printer and technical know-how. When someone works out how to print a neck and fingerboard (including the frets) on a sub £1k 3D printer (for less than £100 worth of materials) than I'll have another look.

Plenty of 3D violins out there, eg https://www.printables.com/model/52210-the-jax-violin-5-string-6-string, but I'm not sure how viable a 3D printed fretless bass from the same materials would be.

Right now the big problem with 3D printing of instruments appears to be the size that the budget (sub £1k) 3D printers are capable of. The one from the OP can do 21x21x25cm, and the one @Dad3353 has can accommodate a slightly larger volume. The core part of the guitar (neck pocket to bridge) only just fitted with a little bit of lateral thinking, but you couldn't print the equivalent section of a bass guitar or the neck of either a guitar or bass as a single piece. Also if the Ad Astra guitar bodies are anything to go by there are big problems with getting smooth seamless joints between pieces printed separately. Again the guitar body in the OP appears to get around this by making a feature of the different sections, and also by not showing any close-up photos of what the finished joints look like. Also all the temperature resistant materials with a suitable strength are considerable more expensive than the standard 3D printable plastic (around £100/kg as opposed to £20/kg). 

43 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Right now the big problem with 3D printing of instruments appears to be the size that the budget (sub £1k) 3D printers are capable of. The one from the OP can do 21x21x25cm, and the one @Dad3353 has can accommodate a slightly larger volume. The core part of the guitar (neck pocket to bridge) only just fitted with a little bit of lateral thinking, but you couldn't print the equivalent section of a bass guitar or the neck of either a guitar or bass as a single piece. Also if the Ad Astra guitar bodies are anything to go by there are big problems with getting smooth seamless joints between pieces printed separately. Again the guitar body in the OP appears to get around this by making a feature of the different sections, and also by not showing any close-up photos of what the finished joints look like. Also all the temperature resistant materials with a suitable strength are considerable more expensive than the standard 3D printable plastic (around £100/kg as opposed to £20/kg). 

It's not (yet...) a suitable proposition for making sousaphones, either. Maybe one day, though, unless Armageddon comes first. B|