Why become a member? ×

NPD - Slight guilt’

steviedee

Was looking for a preamp EQ type pedal for using at home and on impulse bought this Ly-Rock Tonemonster from AliExpress. In my defence I didn’t know it was such a rip off of the Bass Simplifier!

Have to say it sounds really quite good tho! Dunno if it’s anything like the real thing.  It is very tweakable got some really cool tones and seems very well made but still ….

AF7672E1-B4CF-4904-B49E-A8CB811F7E61.thumb.jpeg.9d86963854604c947e9b6005aab95828.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steviedee said:

Was looking for a preamp EQ type pedal for using at home and on impulse bought this Ly-Rock Tonemonster from AliExpress. In my defence I didn’t know it was such a rip off of the Bass Simplifier!

Have to say it sounds really quite good tho! Dunno if it’s anything like the real thing.  It is very tweakable got some really cool tones and seems very well made but still ….

AF7672E1-B4CF-4904-B49E-A8CB811F7E61.thumb.jpeg.9d86963854604c947e9b6005aab95828.jpeg

Supposed to be like an SVT in a box, isn't it? Have you used any other such pedals? Can you comment on how it compares? 

4 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Supposed to be like an SVT in a box, isn't it? Have you used any other such pedals? Can you comment on how it compares? 

I have had various Sansamps and an EBS Microbass. Good pedals though it's only recently I've been ampless so difficult to compare, I have a Helix LT and a Stomp XL which sound great. I used the EBS straight to FOH a few times and I thought it was really good, though it was a while back. This wee thing, even though it looks complex, is actually very straightforward once i worked out what most of it does (I had to look at the actual Simplifier manual tho 😬).

In headphones and through my studio monitors it really does sound good .... i feel bad but I'm a fan!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I got one of these delivered yesterday, ordered through Fruugo, also slightly guilty. I won't get to use it fully until the weekend, when I plan to rebuild my board around it. I've been meaning to try something like this for a while, for split processing and also to accommodate a possible return to dual-output bass. I have an ABY switch pedal on the way that will  let me turn off the high channel easily, since this has no foot switches.

So far impressions are generally positive. The cab sim seems pretty good, does improve the sound, though the effects of the various controls on it are quite subtle, at least through some not-too-great headphones. The preamp seems to need a hot input for real dirt, which it will get since I'll have the Orange KongPressor in front.

PS the full name is Ly-Rock Tone Monster-Amp.DI Bass. Yikes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bnt said:

I got one of these delivered yesterday, ordered through Fruugo, also slightly guilty. I won't get to use it fully until the weekend, when I plan to rebuild my board around it. I've been meaning to try something like this for a while, for split processing and also to accommodate a possible return to dual-output bass. I have an ABY switch pedal on the way that will  let me turn off the high channel easily, since this has no foot switches.

So far impressions are generally positive. The cab sim seems pretty good, does improve the sound, though the effects of the various controls on it are quite subtle, at least through some not-too-great headphones. The preamp seems to need a hot input for real dirt, which it will get since I'll have the Orange KongPressor in front.

PS the full name is Ly-Rock Tone Monster-Amp.DI Bass. Yikes.

What I read but I don't if it's true that the original was manufactured in China and they were running dual production lines! More likely some just got the schematics but it's a great wee thing! (GUILTY!)

• Like 1