Why become a member? ×

Hofner 500:1 CT or upgraded IGN?

Wonky2

Sorry guys another question…….

I’ve noticed on most pictures of CT series Hofner 500/1’s I’ve seen online, they have the serial number and the words “designed in Germany” written in the back of the head stock? 

mine doesn’t have anything ? 

im gonna have the electrics out later

today to see if there is a paper data badge inside the cavity , where I’m hoping I’ll find a ct serial number. ? 

the bass , which I bought second hand, although it needed a fair amount of “work” to set it up well, it’s is otherwise very well

made.

every part of it that should Be found on a contemporary bass is there and I have no real reason to suspect it’s not a genuine CT  or rather an ignition bass which has been upgraded and sold to me as a CT mistakenly….

di t think that’s the case here….

set up issues where more a case of

my own ocd with fret levelling, crowing, polishing and neck adjustments….. lots of people would have found it fine as it was I guess but I always seem to be able to find just a little room for improvement on most instruments…..

y try he only thing that is of not very good quality on it is the machine heads which from what I read is the norm on a Ct bass and upgrades needed  are not in common.

so…. Why doesn’t mine have writing on back of the headstock? 
im Not sure in it’s age, or how to age it from its sn, maybe they only started

doing the writing after a certain year? 

Edited by Wonky2

• Wonky2 changed the title to Hofner 500:1 CT or upgraded IGN?

I will have to have a look and see if mine has designed in Germany on the headstock but looking at the pictures in your other thread it all looks spot on, right shape,control panel,truss rod cover, has the zero fret, the striped nut, binding,tuners look correct, even the strings look correct (the cheapo stock strings on Hofner hct basses have that same dark green silk so I don't think for a second that there is any question that this bass is an authentic Hofner contemporary bass and certainly not an ignition as they don't have the binding.

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

Yeah your right,  don’t think there’s any question it’s a proper CT model, I just thought it strange that every other one I’ve seen has this “made in Germany” stamped on the back of headstock…

I’m not sure on what year the bass was made so it may be an early model and released they had the brain wave to at least mention it’s German heritage 😂 

You’d have to do an awful lot of work to an Ignition to make it look like a CT. The binding for a start. Can’t see how that would be worth anyone’s while for the sales price difference. Faking a German would make more sense, were one that way inclined…