Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on running an Ampeg Micro VR head through 2 TC Electronic RS112's

Mike Bungo

Hi everyone... I have two TC Electronic RS112 cabs which I love and I use an RH750 with these. I have however recently run my Trace Eliiot Elf through them and was blown away with the volume that I had and probably only on No 3-5 on the master. I love the Ampeg sound and was considering getting a Micro VR and was looking for thoughts on how this would sit with my cabs. I'm thinking it will be quite loud with the two running at 4ohm which would save me buying an SVT3Pro and running that on a third volume setting

I've had a PF350 and never really loved its looks and VR looks pretty cool to be fair

One last question.... Would I connect them both separately to the two outputs on the VR or run one out and into the first 112 and then again out of the 1st and then into the 2nd????

TC Cabs.JPG

My train of thought with 2 out to 2 cabs V's amp > cab > cab is that they are both equal and the same BUT... if any one of your speaker leads fails when using the 2 out option, you'd still have 1 cab in operation and a song/gig wouldn't need to stop while you sort it.  Whereas if cable (A) from amp > cab (1) failed, you'd be in silence while you sorted it.  Of course if you are using a full valve amp you could have a cooked amp either way if the cable fails.  :)

Does that make sense?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Does that make sense?  

Only if you have poor quality speaker cables and have suffered failures in the past.

In my sixty odd years of gigging I have yet to have a speaker cable fail on me! Truthfully, as I make mine myself, I'd be insulted if one failed! LOL

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Only if you have poor quality speaker cables and have suffered failures in the past.

In my sixty odd years of gigging I have yet to have a speaker cable fail on me! Truthfully, as I make mine myself, I'd be insulted if one failed! LOL

Exactly.  I've also never had a speaker cable fail but they do fail and my suggestion of running the 2 outputs that way is simply that in the event a cable did fail you would still have output.  If you elect to daisy chain and the first cable fails you are in panic mode trying to establish WHY there is no output.  I probably take this approach as I have witnessed it once in 40+ years of playing.  When an amp/cab suddenly goes silent on stage, I can almost guarantee that the first things checked will be instruments, connect to amp cables, pedalboards (and cables) and the amp... the last thing expected or tested is the speaker cable (for the very reason you said they rarely die) BUT if it was to die then my suggestion gets you through the gig.  

15 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

My train of thought with 2 out to 2 cabs V's amp > cab > cab is that they are both equal and the same BUT... if any one of your speaker leads fails when using the 2 out option, you'd still have 1 cab in operation and a song/gig wouldn't need to stop while you sort it.  Whereas if cable (A) from amp > cab (1) failed, you'd be in silence while you sorted it.  Of course if you are using a full valve amp you could have a cooked amp either way if the cable fails.  :)

Does that make sense?  

It does and thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2023 at 19:17, BassmanPaul said:

Using both outputs into the same cabinet is not always safe. Some SS amps have two power amps always wired in bridge.  The outputs are not the same and connecting both to one cabinet will destroy both power amps.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that way of connection?