Why become a member? ×

Which cabinet???

Roger...

Hi @Roger... welcome to the world of the bass. You will find that it's completely different from that of the guitar. :)

Don't try to get a cabinet that fills out the amplifiers impedance to its minimum. If your amp will handle a 2Ω load then a 4Ω cabinet gives you room to add another 4Ω cabinet down the road. If the amp has a 4Ω minimum then look for an 8Ω cabinet. so you have room to add another.

I don't know of the Gnome series products, I use a pair of Acme B2 2x10 three way cabinets each 4Ω stacked on their ends for a vertical 4x10. I am able to hear myself easily and dispersion out into the room is much improved by the vertical array. 

Good luck with your venture into Bassdom. :D

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

Hi BassmanPaul,

Thank you for the welcome, you're very kind.

I am well aware about the 8 ohm 4 ohm thing as I am a retired electrics design engineer and before that in radio and t/v. But thanks for advising me anyway. It isn't a problem that I will encounter as I have absolutely no intention of adding another speaker at a later date. Just to reitterate, I am not in a gigging band. It's just me and 8 other elderly guys having fun in a local village hall every few weeks without an audience. Also our music is more of the ballad type of music rather than the hard rock or slap-bass stuff.

Hi Beloney Balderdash,

It looks a nice cab and has a good spec. The problem is that it is nearly as wide as the one I am replacing. As previously mentioned, I'm an older guy and have to negotiate a front porch, various doorways, and two flights of stairs in order to store my stuff into the back bedroom. So width and weight is a problem to me. Thanks for the link anyway.

Hello Roger,

Given that you're only going to use the speaker in the local village hall and only for playing smooth ballads, you're not going to need much low bass output. The extended bass frequency responses that you quote, such as 10" 65Hz and 12" 45Hz will in practice be barely audible.What you actually hear is the 1st harmonic @ 130 and 90 Hz. The produced fundamentals are perhaps 12dB or more down from the average sound level.

I agree with several earlier contributors that a 2x10 is probably the way to go, but the choice is limited. The Warwick Gnome 2x10 looks good and is the right shape for manouvreability and sound dispersion but at 36lbs it seems quite a bit to lug about. The only other similarly shaped bass cab I can find is the Ampeg SVT210AV. It's main bonus is the reduced weight @ 26lbs and a retail price of £329.

https://ampeg.com/data/6/0a020a40928b60e325cf91092/application/pdf/Quick Start Guide - English .pdf

https://ampeg.com/data/6/0a020a3f4c425f986339a3452/application/pdf/Owner’s Manual - English .pdf

See if you can find a dealer and try one for size, so to speak.

Edited by Balcro

Hi Balcro,

Thank you for all that useful information regarding peceived output. Thanks also for your recommendation. The jury is still out at the moment, but I am sort of leaning towards the Gnome 1x12 (300w) as it probably has the same speaker in it as the Warwick WCA 112 which I currently have which I like. It is also both smaller in width and depth than the cab I have at the moment and comes in nearly 14 lbs lighter at about 29 lb. Soon I will make a decision.

(I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure) 🤓🤓😄

Out of the two cabinets you are looking at I would probably go for the 1 12 , the low frequency response of 65 hz on the 2 10 concerns me a bit. I know that the lowest frequencies are not very present but in my view the 65 to 100 range is fairly important and I'd be concerned that the 2 10 might be weak in this area.  The way I interpret the pretty incomplete specs on the warwick site is that the 2 10 is probably louder but maybe a bit low end shy. For your needs I would go for the 12. Of course other cabs are available.

Hello Tdw,

My thinking was similar to yours. That's why I was a little nervous about purchasing the 2x10. I've already returned a 1x10 for a refund. The 1x12 I have now sounds great to my ears. It's just that it's physically unmanagable both in size and weight. Maybe the 1x12 cab I have in mind has the same speaker as my current one as it's from the same company. I think that is the way I will go and order one today.

Edited by Roger...

Hi All,

Just to let you know that my new Warwick Gnome PRO CAB 12/4 arrived yesterday.

It is perfect for my purpose and sounds even better than I thought it would. A lot easier to man-handle too than the one I currently have. I'm well happy with my purchase.

My thanks to you all for your postings.

Roger

• Like 4