Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a Barefaced x10 series with the new tweeter option?

fretmeister

Beaming is a product of the cone diameter. It has nothing to do with sealed versus ported, which only affects response below roughly 120Hz. The cabinet shape doesn't matter either. What the cabinet shape, specifically the baffle size, does affect is the baffle step frequency, below which the radiated wave wraps around the speaker rather than projecting forward. It begins where the baffle is one wavelength in dimension, rolling off forward response as you go lower, to a maximum of 6dB. With a  baffle dimension of 60cm, for instance, roll off starts at roughly 550Hz. It's the reason why when standing behind your cab you'll hear the lows but not the mids and highs.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in ChatGPT. From what I've seen its accuracy rate is no more than 50%.  Artificial it may be, but intelligent not so much.

• Like 6

I think ChatGTP mined Talkbass for that info.

It's a mixture of factual information and complete tosh (well written tosh, mind you). You'll only know the difference if you have some knowledge of the subject. But then why would you ask ChatGTP?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

I admit I miss TalkBass. Not so much the site itself but the good friends  I had on there. 

Someone should start a forum 'bannedfromtalkbass.com'.  There are loads of you!

Sorry OP, back to Barefaced 10"s with tweeters...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2023 at 16:37, BillyBass said:

Someone should start a forum 'bannedfromtalkbass.com'.  There are loads of you!

If they'd banned jerks who went on endlessly about that which they knew nothing about I might still be there. There are three types who do gear forums: Those who want to learn, those who want to teach, and those who want to argue. I walked away when those who wanted to argue took over the place. 🤥

• Like 6

My cab has arrived.

I've only been able to have 30 mins at lunchtime but I like it - paired with my existing One10.

With the tweeter control at zero it sounds just like the One10. With it maxed there's a pleasing high end that is very nice for slap and for chord stuff at the dusty end.

Envelope filter stuff seems to come through a bit more in the highs too. Some of my drive sounds are now a bit fizzy so I'll have to tweak them.

There's nothing brittle or sharp about the highs - I'm assuming that will be party to do with the tweeter and partly to do with the amp itself. The treble control on the amp is 6Khz but I have no idea what the Q is, or whether there is a LPF somewhere to get rid of the horrible stuff at the top.

As I stated up there ^ about hissy things, I have had Mark Bass amps in the past that were hissy with MB own cabs. My current Mark Bass is the AG1000 and even with the treble maxed and the tweeter maxed there is no hiss - not even with my compressor on. Very impressive.

It's about a Kilo heavier than the One10 but still very light at 8.5kg.

• Like 5

I rehearsed with it today, just the T cab as I didn’t need the other and it sounded great.

I like to adjust my tone a lot by how I pluck the strings, using a lot of flesh on the string for a deeper and more gentle note, or then plucking more perpendicular for an aggressive bite to it and that sort of thing, and this cab seems to show those differences more.

Next time I’ll try it with my Ashdown RM800evo2 to see if I hear any difference with that amp.

• Like 2