Why become a member? ×

Phil Spalding RIP.

theplumber

Just having a look at some of the artists he had played with....The Who,Toyah,Mick Jagger,Elton John,Randy Crawford,Robbie Williams and many more! Loved his bass line on Toyahs single I Want To Be Free and the cheesy Right Said Fred....I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt!

11 hours ago, theplumber said:

Just having a look at some of the artists he had played with....The Who,Toyah,Mick Jagger,Elton John,Randy Crawford,Robbie Williams and many more! Loved his bass line on Toyahs single I Want To Be Free and the cheesy Right Said Fred....I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt!

He told me 'I Want To Be Free' was his favourite bass line and said it was influenced by Thin Lizzy who he loved. Phil was a great guy.

• Like 2

Sad to hear of Phil's passing. I've been performing with Tubular Bells Live since 2015 and he sat in for me for a couple of songs (Moonlight Shadow and I forget what else) playing the original fretless Fender P he used on that those tracks. He was a big character with lots of energy and passion.

IMG_3010.thumb.JPG.af07ce56532bb071fb65f84c8e7f70b6.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/02/2023 at 22:28, theplumber said:

First saw him playing on Toyah’s “The Changeling” tour. The drummer on that tour was some young kid called Simon Phillips.  Often wonder what happened to him and if he made a go of the old drumming career… 😉 That was one heck of a rhythm section!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TrevorR said:

First saw him playing on Toyah’s “The Changeling” tour. The drummer on that tour was some young kid called Simon Phillips.  Often wonder what happened to him and if he made a go of the old drumming career… 😉 That was one heck of a rhythm section!

Yeah my favourite gigs. A real shame there is no video - as it wasn't the same before or after - but there is the great live album.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...