Why become a member? ×

Series/parallel PBASS tone question

Sweeneythebass

32 minutes ago, Badscrew said:

Well, you initially said a P-bass meaning only one split P-pickup.

In your case it's maybe your J and P pickups are put in series, not the two halves of the P pickup?

Yes that seems to be the case (I should have been clearer), still the sound changes even if soloing the p pickup. 

As several people already pointed out the default wiring of P pickups are the two pickup halves connected in series.

Some people do add the option for having them wired in parallel though, but in my opinion most P pickups, with a few exceptions, the exceptions generally being mid heavy, high output ones, doesn't really sound all that great wired in parallel. 

And also a J and a P pickup, the latter, as explained above, which would normally already have it's two coils wired in series, wired in series with each other would usually be way too boomy and muddy to be of any real practical use either.

My advise would be to just solo your P pickup with the respective two coils of each half wired in series, exactly like a regular P bass.

If in doubt just use the setting that works, it's not like you got 100's of options, just try the few you got out, and then use the one that sounds right in the context, simple as that really.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Ok so I’ve recorded two sound clips (not great audio as just through I phone mic but should give an idea).

So remember I have P/J with a series parallel push/pull switch on the volume pot. These recordings are made with blend knob fully to P pickup and tone at 25%, played with flat wounds through Markbass Vintage Tube preamp with slight bump in the low Mids and bass. 

Now I’m not sure wether push or pull  is parallel or series but it would make sense from previous chats on the thread that the switch changes P&J from parallel config to series and vice Versa.

push

pull

So my original question was the pull position seems to have a woodier tone which I quite enjoy but will this work in the mix for 8/9 piece blues band? 🥴 no rehearsal before the gig so the perfectionist in me wants to know right now !