Why become a member? ×

MOD Device (Dwarf/Duo/Duo X) owners' club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

SamIAm

Yeah looks really cool, excited to see the demos. Sounds like its a pretty huge drain on CPU, someone said just the amp sim and a cab sim pushed it to around 80% but sure that'll get better with time. Definitely not bad for a modeller intended just desktop.

Still want a Dwarf but other stuff keeps getting in the way! Maybe next month 🙏

My use of it has gone from strength to strength - I now not only do all the synth things with it, I use it for samples too, or a sample at the moment, haven't got round to finding a way to do multiple samples well.

I also worked out that as my 12 step is connected, that sends a program change to the dwarf so it now changes pedalboard when I change 12 step patch.*

I noticed that at the last gig - would be good if it was the right pedalboard!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

My use of it has gone from strength to strength - I now not only do all the synth things with it, I use it for samples too, or a sample at the moment, haven't got round to finding a way to do multiple samples well.

I also worked out that as my 12 step is connected, that sends a program change to the dwarf so it now changes pedalboard when I change 12 step patch.*

Thats incredible, I'd love a 12 step to do some cool modulation stuff. I think if I'd had access to all this stuff when I didn't have a child and other responsibilities I'd have never left the house 😂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Thats incredible, I'd love a 12 step to do some cool modulation stuff. I think if I'd had access to all this stuff when I didn't have a child and other responsibilities I'd have never left the house 😂

First Step - Admit we are powerless over GAS ;)

S'manth x

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Anyone experimented with training AIDA-X models yet? Guessing if you're just modelling heads/pedals without speakers you just need a DI and a reamp  box?

Not something i have looked into yet, and probably won't that much, probably would be more use to a guitarist I would think to get their one true tone. I find with just the general building blocks I can have quite a bit of fun anyway, you can get some really crazy cool outlandish effects before you remember your band mates are just expecting you to play mustang sally :D

• Haha 2

Yeah it's probably just another thing to distract myself from practicing actual bass playing 😂

I'm very curious, i have a pedal that just sounds incredible for driven tones. It's just an always on preamp but if I can capture it then it would save a lot of space on my board. More importantly though it's just a good nerdy way to spend an evening 🙌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Not something i have looked into yet, and probably won't that much, probably would be more use to a guitarist I would think to get their one true tone. I find with just the general building blocks I can have quite a bit of fun anyway, you can get some really crazy cool outlandish effects before you remember your band mates are just expecting you to play mustang sally :D

"They" actully believe this ... 🤣

image.thumb.png.cad8f7aabc522455b81517c71c50377e.png

Edited by Smanth

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Anyone experimented with training AIDA-X models yet? Guessing if you're just modelling heads/pedals without speakers you just need a DI and a reamp  box?

Something I intend to do soon, just need to get round to taking the laptop and HX Stomp upstairs where the reamp box and Behringer USB interface are waiting, and see if I can train it to a HX Stomp patch that I like.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Something I intend to do soon, just need to get round to taking the laptop and HX Stomp upstairs where the reamp box and Behringer USB interface are waiting, and see if I can train it to a HX Stomp patch that I like.

Oooo excellent keep us posted 🙌

I have pretty much 2 different levels of distortion combos, one is a really thick chewy overdrive and the other is a much more distortion with lots of boosted high mids. If i can capture the essence of them and remove £600 worth of pedals from my gig board thats a huge win!!!

Still got the Capo and the end of the chain to do some final EQ tweaks should I need to etc.

• Like 1

PS if anyone has any recommendations for modules that work particularly well for bass please feel free to post them here.

Particularly drives, compressors, modulation and delays etc. I'm looking forward to exploring but nice to have a good starting point. 

I believe they are working on some new delay modules, similar to what they released with the reverb packs. Interested to see what they come out with.

I have what I thought (and seemed in IEM) to be excessive distortion on one of my patches, but listening to a crowd recorded video from sunday, you can barely tell there was any sort of distortion on it!

Spent a while trying to get my pedal sorted out, especially the sample player. I need another one of those, the only existing one has flaws, and I can't find anything else. It sort of does the job for now, but I want something better.

Also an octave up that is any good would be nice.

There are a couple of nice delays in there - I am using one in one of my patches - boley delay or something? There is a tape delay that is good too. Oh and I put the detune on one of my patches, and that sounds really good (if you don't go crazy on the detune on it!)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I saw your post on the MOD forum about playing samples from your 12 step had a possible solution, but I did not realise that the 12 Step could send PC messages.

2 hours ago, Smanth said:

I saw your post on the MOD forum about playing samples from your 12 step had a possible solution, but I did not realise that the 12 Step could send PC messages.

haha - yes, I forgot that bit. I switched on the 'Change pedalboard on program change' setting on the dwarf when I was playing around with the chocolate pedal, then promptly forgot about it as I had to sort my pedalboard order out* until the gig this weekend, and got really confused as I had a pedalboard with a sample playback and one without one, but everytime I switched the 12 step to be chromatic** it would switch to my brick in the wall patch (which is the one with the chords).

Then it occured to me last night when fiddling, each 12 step patch has a midi section that can send a program change (or bank change or other changes - in fact two as it has two channels) when you switch to it, and my brick in the wall patch sent a program change to my iPad to make sure it was the right patch, but now it sends it to the dwarf and changes pedalboard. ***

So last night I changed the program settings so that the two 12 step patches I use select the two pedalboards on the dwarf. Which is surprisingly useful. You just have to make sure you have the right bank selected or hilarity ensues.

* Can't find a way of saying 'program change 1 selects this pedalboard, program change 2 selects this one'. There are some of those enigmatic messages you get on forums where people say 'oh you just have to use mindi and reroute the midi throught that to a virtual midi channel to select the channel' like that is supposed to mean anything to a human, but basically, I can accept the limitation that program 1 selects pedalboard 1, program 2 pedalboard 2 etc' (actually 0 selects 1, 1 selects 2 due to terminoligy differences in 12 step and dwarf)

** normal pedalboard has chords in it, chromatic just sends one note out, and that is all the sampler can deal with.

*** sample does sort of what I want for 1 sound but irritatingly, when you switch to it it defaults to the click sample, even if you save it pointing to something else. If you change any setting on that pedalboard it will then have the right sample. Also irritatingly, you can't remove the click sample as it doesn't exist except in the sampler! Still, at least if you accidently play the click sample when you meant something else, noone would notice it. Not like the time it was supposed to be a bell and it played the horn intro to stop the cavalry, or the 'Lets all go to the lobby jingle...'

• Like 1

So, in case it might be of use to other Dwarf users.

I uploaded several backing tracks to my Dwarf.  My pedalboard contains the Audio File plugin (AFP).

My "workflow" is to turn the AFP off, select one of the tracks and then save a snapshot with a name representing the track; I repeat this for each track.

As we are about to perform a song, I load the appropriate snapshot (which is very fast) and when we are ready to start, I turn on the AFP which then starts to play the track. (Both of these are from a MIDI footcontroller).

@Woodinblack, I wonder if a similar approach might work for your 12 audio sample scenario.  Load all 12 onto the Dwarf.  Select each in turn saving it as the name of the sample, but different to my scenario do this with the AFP on.  I suspect (hope) that then when you load that snapshot (triggered by your 12 step)  it would play that sample.  Might be worth a try? 

S'manth x

I had thought of the audio file player, but maybe with mindi doing something to kick it off, but couldn't work out how to do that.

Unfortunately I can set the dwarf to accept program changes as pedalboard changes or snapshot changes, I don't think I can do both?

The answer is obvious really - the sampler has public source code so I should just make one, its just a question of time.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 19:15, Smanth said:

"They" actully believe this ... 🤣

image.thumb.png.cad8f7aabc522455b81517c71c50377e.png

I don't understand this, is that to be interpreted as the role of the bass player in a band context is 100% to play Pacman?

And on that note and on topic, can you play Pacman on the Dwarf?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't understand this, is that to be interpreted as the role of the bass player in a band context is 100% to play Pacman?

And on that note and on topic, can you play Pacman on the Dwarf?

To win pacman, not just to play.

And yes, it would be possible to play pacman on the dwarf but you would need to use the web interface or an external display, to do it well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I had thought of the audio file player, but maybe with mindi doing something to kick it off, but couldn't work out how to do that.

Unfortunately I can set the dwarf to accept program changes as pedalboard changes or snapshot changes, I don't think I can do both?

Oh for the time to do all that we want!

Pedalboard change and Snapshot change MIDI messages are the same, but on different MIDI channels.

image.png.a2c910f00956ddeef2fdb0b70a86e81b.png

The answer is obvious really - the sampler has public source code so I should just make one, its just a question of time.

I'm dancing around the edges of building my first LV2 plugin ... but have not yet jumped into the deep end (If you will allow me to mix my metaphors!)

S'manth x

hahah - when I saw the screenshot before I read what was on it, I thought you had worked out how to get the packman graphics on there!

The program change / snapshot change is a good spot though, I forgot that (which is sad as I only turned it on at the weekend).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finally got it! Had a quick play and can tell it's gonna be a lot of fun 🙌

Only criticism I have so far is that there is an intimidating array of options available and it's in desperate need of a rating system of some sort.

Had a go on the demo of their new AIDA JCM800 and it sounds incredible, better than the equivalent on STL Tones amp hub. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Only criticism I have so far is that there is an intimidating array of options available and it's in desperate need of a rating system of some sort.

Indeed - it can be a overwhelming when you just want to throw something in and realise you have 20 pedals you could use, and you are not sure which one.

• Like 1