Why become a member? ×

3 hot, sexy blondes and a ravishing brunette

lapolpora

I was in town only the other day, thinking to myself, "Ah, the summer brings 'em out, doesn't it...?"

Anyway, back to the basses... :rolleyes:

Love your Status S2 (obviously!) - It has a really interesting top wood - What is it? Any idea?

The other one that really caught my eye was the MM with the lovely figured maple top. Fantastic looking bass! How well does your 75RI jazz do the Miller sound, then?

Congrats on a fab collection :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='472013' date='Apr 25 2009, 08:45 AM']I was in town only the other day, thinking to myself, "Ah, the summer brings 'em out, doesn't it...?"

Anyway, back to the basses... :rolleyes:

Love your Status S2 (obviously!) - It has a really interesting top wood - What is it? Any idea?

The other one that really caught my eye was the MM with the lovely figured maple top. Fantastic looking bass! How well does your 75RI jazz do the Miller sound, then?

Congrats on a fab collection :)[/quote]
Cheers mate!

The Status I think is cocobolo on a cherry core. There's an interesting green "stripe" that runs between the two woods that I haven't seen on other Stattii. I'll try an get a close up of it later.

The MM is an awesome bass - I bought it from BassBalls on here earlier this year. It's got a fantastic neck and just oozes character. I've always blown hot and cold on the Status. After playing the MM extensively the Status sounds clinical and sterile, but it's a great bass for improving technique on so I practice on it a lot and get back into it. I used to have a Series 2000 in the late 80s which I forever regret selling.

The Jazz is getting there - I also bought that from a Basschatter. I really don't like the pick-ups on it that much so it's going to have a Nordstrand update soon. There's a killer bass in there - I've just had to strip out all the rubbish bits. My amp at the moment is a Phil Jones Flightcase and while it's good, I don't think I'm hearing the best of what any of them have to offer. I'm getting a GB Shuttle soon and then I'll be on the hunt for a Bergantino or Epifani 2x10.

Can I just say WOW to the guitars above :-)

As for the Jazz pickups, I've got a USA Deluxe model with the SCN ones and they've got great output with a nice throaty growl when driven hard. I love the sounds it produces.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='472193' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:18 PM']Yes, I've always found the Japanese Fender Jazz pickups a little buzzy and lacking output. My new American one has massive output & is as quiet as a mouse. Let me know how the Norstrand changes goes. I've always fancied something like a Sadowsky with the big singles on board.[/quote]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='472013' date='Apr 25 2009, 07:45 AM']The other one that really caught my eye was the MM with the lovely figured maple top. Fantastic looking bass! How well does your 75RI jazz do the Miller sound, then?[/quote]
That's ash, but just a very ncie grain :) The only MM bass that's come with a natural figured maple top is the 20th anni SR4, and they had tort pickguards glued on :rolleyes: Lovely bass though!

[quote name='lapolpora' post='471977' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:24 AM']I've got a bit of a thing for the "natural" look :)

Left to right: 1989 Status Series II; 1992 EBMM Stingray; Fender Jazz CIJ '75RI with Marcus Retro and Gotoh bridge; 1977 Fender USA Precision.[/quote]

Hi Derrick
Lovely collection, just like myself youve got all the sounds covered, a jazz, a precision, a stingray, and a nice modern sounding status, nothing you cant do with those.
Like the look of the gotoh, will definately get one for my precision, BTW i have nordstrand nj,4s in my jazz well worth the money i love em, my sterling has one in too, as soon as ive the cash my precision will get an np 4, good luck on the rig search sounds great what your after-all the best - lee
ps - hope you like the octabass!!!

[quote name='lee650' post='472393' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:34 PM']Hi Derrick
Lovely collection, just like myself youve got all the sounds covered, a jazz, a precision, a stingray, and a nice modern sounding status, nothing you cant do with those.
Like the look of the gotoh, will definately get one for my precision, BTW i have nordstrand nj,4s in my jazz well worth the money i love em, my sterling has one in too, as soon as ive the cash my precision will get an np 4, good luck on the rig search sounds great what your after-all the best - lee
ps - hope you like the octabass!!![/quote]
Hi Lee,

Nice to hear from you!

Good to have a recommendation on the NJ4s. The Octabass is all good but when I tried it out I had one of those "we're gonna need a bigger boat" moments - to paraphrase Roy Schnieder from the movie Jaws. MY PJ Flightcase doesn't really like it - the gig rig I intend to get will see the Octabass come into its own.

Cheers,

Derrick