Why become a member? ×

NBD: Yamaha BB1200 and Yamaha BBP34

tredders

A couple of weeks ago, I got hold of a 1980 Yamaha BB1200, and have been absolutely blown away by the quality, sound and how good it is to play.  I got it from here (thanks Paul!), and wrote a thread about how ironic it is that after 30 years, I found my perfect Precision, and it even wasn't a Fender.  It's in great condition and even came with the original Yamaha case.  A few pics:

i-K4MfSPg-XL.jpg

i-vfvjgkQ-XL.jpg

i-dpPHBkx-XL.jpg

I spend every other month in the US with work, and wanted a cheap bass to plunk about on whilst over there.  I didn't really want to bring a bass over from home, so today popped into the local guitar shop (https://www.toneshopguitars.com - ask for Chas!).  I'd seen and played a cheap Sterling Ray for $300 in there previously, so thought I'd go in and have a look round.

Of course, it didn't work out like that!  They'd just taken in a Yamaha BBP34 on part ex towards some 6 string guitar kit (ugh), so I sat down with that.  I remember picking one up a year ago in another guitar store, and thought it was nothing special.  However, this one had just been set-up and was an absolutely lovely bass.  Very resonant unplugged, and a huge sound plugged in.  Sounded very warm and vintage to my ears.  Anyway, long story short, I walked out with it at a very good price (inc posh Yamaha case, all the case candy and a Levy's strap), along with a little Fender Rumble 40 combo ($160 on special!), and have just unpacked it all.    Happy days.  A few pics:

i-BJN242c-XL.jpg\

i-Z5wWm8R-XL.jpg

i-FWsGX3M-XL.jpg

i-tVfxP6K-XL.jpg

i-QGtVXk5-XL.jpg

• Like 10

19 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

How do they compare?

They are both lovely, but quite different. The BB1200 is a good old fashioned P bass, but done fantastically well.   The neck is gorgeous on it and it sounds like a good P bass should.   The BBP34 is more refined - still vintage sounding at heart, but with a bigger variety of sounds available.   Build quality is great on the BB1200, but absolutely outstanding on the BBP34.  Really does feel like Custom Shop territory, which I suppose it is.  

Being absolutely honest, I prefer the BB1200, but they’re both fantastic instruments. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Well I don’t suppose that’s a cheaply to plonk around on whilst you’re across the pond. I’ll bet you will want to bring it back home - import duty payable?

Definitely wasn’t a cheapie, but well worth the money I paid in my opinion.   I actually work every other month in the US and will do for at least the remainder of this year.  I’ll ultimately bring it back with me, but for the next year at least it’ll stay over in the US.  I’ll cross the import duty bridge when I come to it.