Why become a member? ×

Present for bass playing son

GrimUpNorth

6 hours ago, GrimUpNorth said:

Hi 

My son got a Yamaha TRBX174 for his birthday last year and he subsequently got a Fender Rumble LT25 and stand.  Its coming up to his birthday again and  I was looking for something to get him.  He says he'd like some new strings and I've asked if he would like some lessons but he says he's ok using the online resources at the mo, so I was looking at something else and so far the only thing I can think of is a cleaning kit.

Having had a quick look I'm not sure if they are actually a good idea.  I don't play so any advise would be gratefully received....along with any bass present ideas.  A friend gave him a strap so that's covered.

Thanks 

A cleaning kit is the equivalent and giving socks at xmas!

Another vote for a pedal. Get a Zoom B1. Loads of fun and he can figure out what sort of sounds he likes best with the 70 effects and amp modelling.

• Like 2

You don't suggest a budget but The Zoom B1Four is such a good shout. There's absolutely nothing to beat it for anything like the money. £69

Here is what it does. You plug the bass in and a set of headphones and you can practice in silence. Inside are electronic patches that will make your bass sound like you are playing through a whole range of different and very expensive gear. Unplug the phones and you can put it through your amp and even use it on stage.

It has a mini-jack input so you can plug in your phone/computer etc and then you can play along with any song you choose.

It has a built in tuner for getting those strings in tune.

It has a built in metronome and drum machine to play along with

This is the perfect practice engine. The headphone sound is great and playing along with your favourite songs is a great way of mearning.. Playing with drums that you can slow down and speed up is probably enen more useful. if less fun. The Zoom runs on batteries or a power supply or with a USB lead. I use mine for 80-90% of my personal practice.

It also has dozens of studio quality effects built in and it works as a looper Zoom B1-4 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

You don't suggest a budget but The Zoom B1Four is such a good shout. There's absolutely nothing to beat it for anything like the money. £69

Here is what it does. You plug the bass in and a set of headphones and you can practice in silence. Inside are electronic patches that will make your bass sound like you are playing through a whole range of different and very expensive gear. Unplug the phones and you can put it through your amp and even use it on stage.

It has a mini-jack input so you can plug in your phone/computer etc and then you can play along with any song you choose.

It has a built in tuner for getting those strings in tune.

It has a built in metronome and drum machine to play along with

This is the perfect practice engine. The headphone sound is great and playing along with your favourite songs is a great way of mearning.. Playing with drums that you can slow down and speed up is probably enen more useful. if less fun. The Zoom runs on batteries or a power supply or with a USB lead. I use mine for 80-90% of my personal practice.

It also has dozens of studio quality effects built in and it works as a looper Zoom B1-4 

I scored one of these off @PaulThePlug  & they're excellent... I  can't think of a better present for a young bass player as it gives you so much useful (and cool) stuff in one small package, perfect for whatever direction his music takes... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GrimUpNorth said:

Hi 

My son got a Yamaha TRBX174 for his birthday last year and he subsequently got a Fender Rumble LT25 and stand.  Its coming up to his birthday again and  I was looking for something to get him.  He says he'd like some new strings and I've asked if he would like some lessons but he says he's ok using the online resources at the mo, so I was looking at something else and so far the only thing I can think of is a cleaning kit.

Having had a quick look I'm not sure if they are actually a good idea.  I don't play so any advise would be gratefully received....along with any bass present ideas.  A friend gave him a strap so that's covered.

Thanks 

The Fender  Rumble LT25 has built in effects, a tuner and presets so a multi effects might not be that useful, what a about a good pair of headphones for silent bass practice ? :D 

John 😎