Why become a member? ×

Harmonica

EssexBuccaneer

Any other harp players? I’ve been playing on and off for about a year now. My blues licks are sounding alright, if basic. 

It’s a great, fun (and portable!) instrument, keeps me occupied in the office on lates when I’m alone. Am not quite confident enough to pull it out when there’s others around just yet though! 

• Like 2

I'm at the very beginning of my harp-playing antics. I've always liked blues harp and I have a Hohner Special 20 in C which I bought many years ago (before YouTube) which I never managed to play.

I am 200 miles away from home for a few weeks and have suddenly become inspired to learn. I have Ben Hewlett's course on Udemy and have ordered a Fender blues deluxe harp in C from amazon which should arrive within the next couple of hours.

If/when I progress further I will probably get a few more special 20s in other keys.

The Fender blues deluxe seems to be a pretty decent harp to start with considering it was thirteen quid. The blow & draw on all of the holes work and the tone/volume seems to be consistent. I believe these are made in China by Easttop for Fender—it looks to be a rebadged T10-3. It will be interesting to compare it to my old special 20 when I return home.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

5 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The Fender blues deluxe seems to be a pretty decent harp to start with considering it was thirteen quid. The blow & draw on all of the holes works the tone/volume seems to be consisten. I believe these are made in China by Easttop for Fender—it appears to be a rebadged T10-3. It will be interesting to compare it to my old special 20 when I return home.

That’s what I use, I have a C and an A at present. Trying to nail that 2-draw bend is proving a frustrating experience! 

I’m looking at which harps to get once I feel that I’m at a level where I’ll need some more keys. The box set of seven Fender midnight blues looks good—These appear to be rebranded Easttop T008K which seem to be well regarded. Alternatively if I’m feeling a bit posh, I might go for the Hohner Rocket Amp set of five with the funky green combs which are like upgraded special 20s.

One thing I don’t understand is why I see harmonicas listed for sale on Cash Converters website. Not only is it a gamble whether all the reeds actually work, but ugh— who’d want to put their mouth on a secondhand harp of unknown provenance—even after cleaning it?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Despite its name, the Hohner Marine Band range of harps are very good, I used them extensively when playing everything but bass in a previous band. Only downside was the price, about £40 each back in 2017, I ended up with 7 of them for different keys...