Why become a member? ×

Famous luthiers about headless, chambered and custom basses

mario_buoninfante

23 minutes ago, DTB said:

I think when you fret a note you are just taking up the slack (all be it a small amount)

There is no slack, it's under tension! Nominally the string is in a straight line between nut and bridge, only nominally because we are ignoring gravity effects. For it to be bent to contact the fret it has to be physically longer and for it to be longer it must stretch and for it to be stretched it must be at more tension than when it was straight. The deviation from straight is small so the increase in tension is also small, but it is inescapable.

The force that is required to push the string over to the fret is amplified manyfold in the increased string tension, by the ratio of the string length to the deflection.

• Like 1

If I still had access to a lab  I would be well up for measuring the effects that string length etc beyond the bridge and nut have on the deflection force required to pluck (or bend) a given string.  The first approximation formula t = 4dT / L  (t deflection force, d : deflection, T : string tension and L : scale length) does not account for any movement beyond the fixed points (bridge, nut).  Experimental measurement seems the way forward to get some answers.   Some quick 'testing' by playing the G string hard and feeling for any string movement at the nut or beyond it suggests that the effects will be very small if any.

Edited by 3below

I have an old steinberger XP that i pull out from time to time.

Sounds great, plays incredible, but i always end up playing two frets too high as my muscle memory keeps thinking there is a headstock so like on the E string,  i think i'm playing G but i hit A

On 19/01/2023 at 06:52, Downunderwonder said:

There is no slack, it's under tension! Nominally the string is in a straight line between nut and bridge, only nominally because we are ignoring gravity effects. For it to be bent to contact the fret it has to be physically longer and for it to be longer it must stretch and for it to be stretched it must be at more tension than when it was straight. The deviation from straight is small so the increase in tension is also small, but it is inescapable.

The force that is required to push the string over to the fret is amplified manyfold in the increased string tension, by the ratio of the string length to the deflection.

I’m on strong pain killers for my arthritis. Sometimes I say stupid things as a result.