Why become a member? ×

DiMazio Split P in parallel connection?

So I've been curious about the DiMarzio DP127 Split P P pickup, which basically consists of two individual fully humbucking halves.

However from what I can read out of the tone chart DiMarzio provides for it, have read elsewhere, and judging from YouTube demo videos I've watched/listened to featuring this pickup, it is way too boomy and bassy for my liking.

However this is all with the premise of wiring the two humbucking halves in series with each other (how DiMarzio intended it, and how apparently everyone else are wiring up this pickup), like you would the two regular single coil halves of a regular P pickup.

So I was thinking how about connecting those two already humbucking halves in parallel with each other instead, in theory that should result in less low end and more high end.

The issue however is that I can't find any demos or even just talk about this.

Sure I can't be the first one to come up with this idea?

For reference this is how the pickup looks, two halves each with two parallel coils with one blade/rail per coil, the two coils of each half respectively connected in series internally:

DP127W.png

And with an output listed as about 70% higher than a Model P and a DC resistance of just above 19 kOhm, that is when the two halves are connected in series with each other, it ought to work perfectly fine with the two halves connected in parallel instead without getting too weak.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/p-bass-hum-canceling/split-p

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I am a fan of the DiMarzio Split P DP127 I have them fitted to three of my P basses. I have always found the very broad range of tones produced by the Split P to be very satisfying. Matched with a good quality loom ( @KiOgon) the Pup is capable of offering huge tonal variety. Yes , you need to use your particular amp EQ to deliver your tonal needs from a powerful pup. I do not subscribe to the view that the PD127 is too boomy, you just need to use your ears to control your sound using your amps EQ.

Simples!!

Edited by JohnDaBass
Grammar
  • Like 1

Agree with @JohnDaBass above, I have the DP127W in my AVRI '57 P, with GHS Precision flats, have always loved the dynamics, tone range and clarity, wired in series as standard. Never too 'boomy or bassy' 😃 plenty of top end, TBH never tried it in parallel.

Always through my Ashdown LB30/112/48 👍

Edited by KiOgon
smelling pisstake
  • Like 1

I have the normal Di Marzio P pup in my Aerodyne and I contacted Di Marzio tech about the wiring. They go against the grain, recommending Log (Audio Taper) pots and form memory 500K for volume and 250K for tone.  When I queried this, they came back with "We do not feel linear pots are effective with passive, high-impedance pickups. This is subjective, and you may come to a different conclusion." For the first time I had a passive bass with a tone control that really works, it changes the tone all the way round the pot.

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/DiMarzio Sixties P™ Wiring Diagram_0.pdf

This is the diagram I used:

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/DiMarzio Model P %26 J Wiring Diagram_1.pdf

I adore the look of the DP127 in black, I’d love to have them in my Warlock. But my Warlock is a double P, so it gets a bit pricey having to have two sets. Especially as I don’t know how they’d sound in it.

I suppose I could buy one set to see how it would sound, and if I wasn’t keen I could put it in my Westfield. But the pick-up would cost more than that bass is worth…