Why become a member? ×

Technique advice please.

DTB

I’ve just got my first multiscale bass. I’m finding i am constantly having to move my plucking hand up and down along the strings between neck and bridge to stay in the sweet spot for the tone I want, from string to string, particularly on the g and c. Obviously this isn’t necessary on a non multi scale instrument. It isn’t something I considered before purchasing it. 
is this normal or am I doing something wrong??

I found it's something you just get used to as you get to know the instrument. I've had my Dingwall for nearly 4 years now - I don't even need to think about it anymore and it didn't take that whole time to get used to it. My fingers/plectrum just know where to go now. 

I'm also with Lozz on this. I've experienced it some standard scale basses too. 

I’m beginning to think maybe I should have gone 5 string e a d g c rather than six. I do absolutely love the  sixers I bought recently but I don’t go much below D on 6th string and could even put a five in drop d for that?

Also think should have gone fretless. 
I always do this when buying something. Doesn’t matter what it is. I whittle the list down to a couple and then buy the wrong one lol. 

23 hours ago, DTB said:

I’ve just got my first multiscale bass. I’m finding i am constantly having to move my plucking hand up and down along the strings between neck and bridge to stay in the sweet spot for the tone I want, from string to string, particularly on the g and c. Obviously this isn’t necessary on a non multi scale instrument. It isn’t something I considered before purchasing it. 
is this normal or am I doing something wrong??

I love mutiscale basses but I don't plan a different approach to playing them.  I just play them.

Maybe you are overthinking it.  I only move my plucking hand back and forth if I want a harder sound or softer bridge or even fretboard sound but I don't plan it or think about it. I just let my ears judge and let it happen.

By the time I would have thought about it the momment is gone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTB said:

I’m beginning to think maybe I should have gone 5 string e a d g c rather than six. I do absolutely love the  sixers I bought recently but I don’t go much below D on 6th string and could even put a five in drop d for that?

Also think should have gone fretless. 
I always do this when buying something. Doesn’t matter what it is. I whittle the list down to a couple and then buy the wrong one lol. 

What did you get? (Pictures are always welcome!) Could you return it and opt for something else too?

Ibanez 1506 workshop 

Yamaha TRB 1006J

are the two I’ve bought in the last month. 
I’ve gone back to playing bass because I sit in a slightly different position than when I play guitar and I’m riddled with arthritis at 53 yo (I use a wheelchair if I have to walk outside the house) and it’s less painful to sit and play bass. 
sorry for the delay in reply. 
since I posted thread Ive pretty much got the floating thumb sorted for muting strings and on the multiscale the movement to stay in the sweet spot is happening on its own. Both of which weren’t necessary on my fourstring fretless. So I’m really enjoying playing again. 

• Like 1