Why become a member? ×

So who has a Squier/ Fender Dimension with a Rosewood board?

TheGreek

I can't do Maple boards - too "clean" for me - I prefer the warmth of a Rosewood board.

Having said that I've been watching a number of videos of the Fender/ Squier Dimension and TBH I can't see why so many are being unloaded. Many responses to this are "because it's not a P or J" which is fair enough and not surprising as many Fender owners tend to fall into these two camps (not meant as a criticism). Those oval pickups can't really be freaking out the classical Fender buyer.

It seems that whenever Fender bring out something new, they sell for a while and then Fender withdraw them as sales aren't what they'd hoped. It seems that it isn't the company that's stuck in 1966, it's their clientele. Again not a criticism, more an observation.

I recently missed out on a couple of Squier Dimensions V - one here and one on eBay - both had maple boards which was the deal breaker for me - I wanted the Rosewood. The Squiers seem to be selling for ridiculous money - £150ish - surprisingly we aren't seeing the competitors like Sire/ G&L/ etc selling for this - how are they holding their value but not the Fender/ Squier Dimension . From the videos I've seen they sound like good basses, certainly better than the used price tag suggests.

So why are owners moving them on? Is it really that Fender owners only want P and J basses. Is it the electronics? Build quality?

I'd welcome some feedback from those who have played or owned one. 

I used to be a Pbass guy and had a preference for rosewood , until one day I realized the Pbasses I was playing the most (a fretless 72 and Japanese 51 reissue) both had maple boards.

Now I don’t give fretboard colour much thought , but most are rosewood.

I’ve had three US models: a Standard 5 HH with rosewood board, Deluxe 5 HH with maple board and Deluxe 5 HH with rosewood board.

They don’t sound like a P or a J… or a MM. I think Fender were trying a Stingray type setup but with their own pickups and not placed in the classic SR position. Tonally they’re very versatile but they can be a touch anonymous. The low B wasn’t  great on any of them (high mass thick bridge makes stringing a non tapered B a pain), the balance isn’t great due to a short top horn and the looks are a bit marmite. However as a 4 I imagine they'd be an excellent, versatile and quiet bass as in the Deluxe all 5 positions on the pickup selector are humbucking. My personal preference for this type of bass before discovering Dingwall was an MM Sterling 5HH, but IMHO the Dimension neck pickup is much more usable than the Sterling.

Edited by FDC484950
  • Thanks 1