Why become a member? ×

Using electric bass and synth live (unsure which forum to put this in so mods please move if you will...)

dodge_bass

I agree with the view that in a perfect world 2 feeds probably is the ideal but I gigged all of last year sending 1 x DI to FOH carrying both my Sub25 and bass signal (plugged into the two inputs of a HX Stomp and then either through an Orchid DI or if using backline the amp’s DI out), so long as instrument levels are balanced at the start it’s unlikely to be a major issue and makes for a quick simple setup which on the bigger shows we play is usually what matters!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rattle&Drum said:

I agree with the view that in a perfect world 2 feeds probably is the ideal but I gigged all of last year sending 1 x DI to FOH carrying both my Sub25 and bass signal (plugged into the two inputs of a HX Stomp and then either through an Orchid DI or if using backline the amp’s DI out), so long as instrument levels are balanced at the start it’s unlikely to be a major issue and makes for a quick simple setup which on the bigger shows we play is usually what matters!

As a FoH engineer, if someone presented me with a single DI for both bass guitar and synth bass (which admittedly doesn't happen that often!), it wouldn't be that much of a problem especially if the levels were balanced. However, unless there was a peculiar reason doing otherwise, a dedicated DI for each would be preferably. Certainly if I was running any compression the settings would be different for both.

• Like 3

Keep them separate. A synth even if it is just doing bass sounds is not a bass guitar, and has a much broader bandwidth and will require EQ'ing separately.

It sounds as though your band is on the verge of needing your own personal PA engineer. It's certainly been my experience that the moment it's not obvious what musician is playing what part that you need someone who does know to mix for you.

On 31/12/2022 at 17:13, mario_buoninfante said:

that said, this seems to have 1 instrument input and 2 return inputs, 1 instr out and 2 send outs.
I'd expect these to have difference impedances. I don't think that connecting an instrument to a return is ideal.

In practice, it works really well. I've been doing this with an LS2 for years.

• Like 2