Why become a member? ×

Which Luthiers Build Full Carbon Fiber Basses?

binky_bass

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IMO there is something very awkward about that body shape that doesn't "flow" at all.

Agreed. It actually makes the body and neck feel off-angle of each other. The upper bout is too weak and where your forearm would rest seems too shallow a curve. 

On 27/12/2022 at 07:20, binky_bass said:

I had a Rainsong Jumbo acoustic a while back and that weighed in at 1.7kg, was hoping a bass of similar material would be lighter by a decent margin to that of a traditional wood bass. 

My Steinberger and Status both surprise people who pick them up with how heavy they are. Not boat anchors by any means but not flyweight either. I have full bodied wood basses that are well on both sides weight wise to these two.

KLOS are doing a 5 soon, but I'm not sure they'll do a 6.

I suppose the title of the thread is slightly misleading - really I'm not specific after a carbon fibre Bass, I'm looking for the lightest possible 6 string bass. Basslabs might be an option, but I'm not really a fan of their aesthetics. But they are open to a lot of customisation, so I may well get in contact! 

More and more luthiers seem to be using super-lightweight woods for basses now by request (stuff like paulownia, etc). They do the job, but you end up with other issues (thin tone, balance problems, etc). Paulownia also apparently dents easily and is effectively one step above balsa wood in terms of density. 

If light weight is the end goal here, I'd be looking at something traditionally made but with a small body, and perhaps headless. The Ibanez EHB range might be something worth looking at. I've played a few and they sound great and are extremely light (the 6-string I tried must have been no more than about 7lbs).