Why become a member? ×

Schaller strap locks

EBS_freak

Everybody ever had a Schaller straplock break? The bit that attaches to the strap and you pull off has fallen out. God knows how that happened... the thing is, I can't work out how the hell it would have ever stayed together anyway. I suspect that a piece of metal has come adrift somewhere.

I've already ordered a replacement set... bit bummed out because it was the gold set = more expensive...

Edited by EBS_freak

I'll tell you how it happened.

Pound to a pinch of sh*t the 'locking' (!!) nut unscrewed itself off so the rest of the fitting fell out of the hole. It happened to me mid gig in York , dumped my Status on my foot. Since the following morning all my Schallers went in the bin and were replaced with Dunlops - far superior IMHO. They hold the strap further off the bass as the pins are longer which makes me wonder about too much stress on the screw and pin - but you can get versions that 'flush' fit too , though that means hacking the bass a little.

Never had an actual issue with the Dunlops , they've been great , my comments above are only me worrying/wondering aloud.

Were I you I'd be on the blower to whoever you've ordered the replacements from and change your order to Dunlops toot suite.
Cost you a couple of quid more but if you're interested in the security of your bass enough to invest in any form of straplock -are you bovvered?

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='470605' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:33 PM']....I've already ordered a replacement set....[/quote]
Mmm. You've missed the chance to move to Dunlops. Mine have lasted 20 years and 10 years with no problem.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='470635' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:55 PM']I'll tell you how it happened.

Pound to a pinch of sh*t the 'locking' (!!) nut unscrewed itself off so the rest of the fitting fell out of the hole. It happened to me mid gig in York , dumped my Status on my foot. Since the following morning all my Schallers went in the bin and were replaced with Dunlops - far superior IMHO. They hold the strap further off the bass as the pins are longer which makes me wonder about too much stress on the screw and pin - but you can get versions that 'flush' fit too , though that means hacking the bass a little.

Never had an actual issue with the Dunlops , they've been great , my comments above are only me worrying/wondering aloud.

Were I you I'd be on the blower to whoever you've ordered the replacements from and change your order to Dunlops toot suite.
Cost you a couple of quid more but if you're interested in the security of your bass enough to invest in any form of straplock -are you bovvered?[/quote]

Nah - it's not the nut that unscrewed - it's the actual pin which you pull up. The strap attachment is still firmly attached to the strap! I screw those nuts on so so damn tight, there is no way that they are ever going to come off the strap.

Top tip for fitting Scaller locks to a strap... hold a screw driver in the bottom fixing whilst turning the nut with a spanner...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='470664' date='Apr 23 2009, 01:16 PM']Nah - it's not the nut that unscrewed - it's the actual pin which you pull up. The strap attachment is still firmly attached to the strap! I screw those nuts on so so damn tight, there is no way that they are ever going to come off the strap.

Top tip for fitting Scaller locks to a strap... hold a screw driver in the bottom fixing whilst turning the nut with a spanner...[/quote]

Mine were tightened like that and with loctite on the nut AND checked when I set my gear up that night.

If the pin's failed I'd be sending the fitting to Mr Schaller along with a grovel letter saying how you've used his products trouble free for a thousand years and asking for a free replacement set - which you'll get along with a T shirt..........then Ebay the new Schallers and buy the Dunlops!!!

I'll have the T shirt if you don't want it!! Add it to my collection of similarly obtained clothing!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='470715' date='Apr 23 2009, 01:49 PM']Mine were tightened like that and with loctite on the nut AND checked when I set my gear up that night.

If the pin's failed I'd be sending the fitting to Mr Schaller along with a grovel letter saying how you've used his products trouble free for a thousand years and asking for a free replacement set - which you'll get along with a T shirt..........then Ebay the new Schallers and buy the Dunlops!!!

I'll have the T shirt if you don't want it!! Add it to my collection of similarly obtained clothing!![/quote]

Heh - I may try that. I'll let you know how I get on!

Just a thought... is Helmut Schaller still with us?

The Schaller strap locks on my Warwick have finally worn out - but they are 22 years old so I guess that's decent going. The RIM Custom has Dunlops, though not sure why we went for those. I've never been one for taking straps off - I'd be happy with a woodscrew and a big metal washer!

Alex

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='470605' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:33 PM']Everybody ever had a Schaller straplock break? The bit that attaches to the strap and you pull off has fallen out. God knows how that happened... the thing is, I can't work out how the hell it would have ever stayed together anyway. I suspect that a piece of metal has come adrift somewhere.

I've already ordered a replacement set... bit bummed out because it was the gold set = more expensive...[/quote]

Most likely that the small circlip on the outside of the strap lock assembly has pinged off (happend to me once) allowing the pin & spring and everything to fall out the back of the clip that fits on your strap. A replacement circlip washer cost me £1.10 for 10 at B&Q and I've nine spares if it ever happens again :)