Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez EHB1006MS - I've got a silver machine!

visog

Very seasonal although I have to say I'm not wild about the finish.

Bought for lots of strings and notes - chords sound great. Low-end good for a medium scale - reminds me of a stick TBH as I've set the action low so it's a bit clanky.

Very handy, light and ergonomic. Passive mode for long stints at the DAW.

Very adjustable with that bridge. 

Ramp as supplied useless at 3mm or so but jacked it up with gaffer tape hence the yellow line below it.

Ibby.thumb.jpg.95df6a1eb825c432c331afbee14e1276.jpg

Edited by visog
More deets...
  • Like 8

• visog changed the title to NBD: Ibanez EHB1006MS - I've got a silver machine!
5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Very nice.

It's only a couple of strings that are medium-ish scale.

The B and E are extra long!

What are pickups like?

8 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

They are certainly a bit different. The fanned fretboard in your photo makes it look like a twisted neck ( which I’m sure it isn’t ) just a weird optical illusion.

Enjoy it, it’s a bold move, one day we may all be playing something similar.

@fretmeister - bold name! Good point about the scale. Considering it's a 35" B it's a really dinky bass which I like. Whilst I put the post up to answer questions about the EHB's I can't really say how the pick-ups compare with the Barts or Nords. You'd need a straight comparison with all three. What I can say is that we're not in P-bass territory. This bass is all about a modern sound and the combination of the T1 pick-ups and the pre-amp is very powerful. As a 'modern' bass, we're all about the mids and highs and the EQ does a great job of zoning in on those areas and boost/cutting them. As I said in the OP, the now super-low clacky action and the mid's give me a strong Chapman Stick vibe. So to answer your question, I think the the T1s are just fine and complimented really well by the pre-amp.

@Grahambythesea - Neck is gloriously straight but with a narrow radius so a very flat, 'Aircraft Carrier' vibe. The big thing for me to get used to is not the fanned frets or 6-strings but the narrow 17mm string spacing. That said I'm getting there and I'm not arsed about trying to slap on it. This bass is all about the chords, and legato up to the heavens. It was a bold move as you say but the bridge and truss are super-adjustable so got it to a point with which I'm happy. My #1 is a Goodfellow so I expect a John Entwistle 'strings under the frets' experience.

Other observations are: well made - neck joint is a massive 5-point deely. It's stupidly light so very comfortable for long practise or DAW sessions. If the whole ergonomic multi-scale thing floats your boat, I'd recommend you try one in the configuration which suits...

4 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

They are certainly a bit different. The fanned fretboard in your photo makes it look like a twisted neck ( which I’m sure it isn’t ) just a weird optical illusion.

Enjoy it, it’s a bold move, one day we may all be playing something similar.

There are basses with an intentionally twisted neck. They're meant to be ergonomic.

Img406.jpg

• Like 1