Why become a member? ×

iPod Classic repair help

paul_5

I've managed to remove the battery connector on my iPod classic (in my defences they are held on by small amounts of bugger all) and wondered if any BCers know of anyone who can res-older either the existing socket, or fit a new one?

My only alternative is to buy a new logic board at £100, and I'd rather not spend that much if possible.

I'm in East Lancashire/North Manchester, but don't mind couriering it if someone comes recommended. There re lots of phone repair shops locally, but I think they just do cracked screens/part replacement and they're a bit of a mixed bunch.

Looking at pics on the internet, it looks like the connector is directly soldered to pads on the circuit boards. 

Assuming the pads aren't damaged then it should be possible to either reflow the original back in place or fit a new connect in same way.

Unless you have a hot air soldering station, you will probably have to find someone who can repair boards with SMD components.  Maybe try reaching out to some of the guys on youtube that fix retro stuff.  Try this guy, he has a mate who fixes old computers.

https://www.youtube.com/@RMCRetro

Good luck.

Do you have photos, are the pads intact? Looks easy enough if so and most repair places should be able to do it. Even if the pads have come off the board then it's still doable, will just require some patch wire workarounds.

Rob's Game Repairs (formerly Rob's Retro Repairs) is well thought of on enthusiast groups and can do rework if required. Probably a mail in job really unless you're down Blackpool way:

https://www.facebook.com/robsgamerepairs/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/12/2022 at 20:48, paul_5 said:

I've managed to remove the battery connector on my iPod classic (in my defences they are held on by small amounts of bugger all) and wondered if any BCers know of anyone who can res-older either the existing socket, or fit a new one?

My only alternative is to buy a new logic board at £100, and I'd rather not spend that much if possible.

I'm in East Lancashire/North Manchester, but don't mind couriering it if someone comes recommended. There re lots of phone repair shops locally, but I think they just do cracked screens/part replacement and they're a bit of a mixed bunch.

Could you elaborate a bit more? 

After about 15 years of daily use, the battery of my iPod Classic 80GB barely charges anymore. I use mine in my car exclusively these days, where it's been hooked up to the stereo of my Mondeo by USB for the last 2 years. Previously, in my Volvo V50, I had it hooked up to a Parrot MKi9200 carkit permanently for 9.5 years. It's getting 5V through that connection at all times when my contact is on. Lately it won't power up sometimes. It's working fine when hooked up to iTunes. Today I kept it connected to a USB charger all day, but when I just disconnected it it was still empty. If I could revive it with a new battery, I would be more than happy! It's served me very well for far longer than I would have expected already, but I would love to keep using it. Did you replace the battery, and if so, how much did you spend on it?

I have replaced the battery in my iPod Classic coupe of years ago. I think I followed the ifixit guides: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Classic

It is quite a brutal business getting inside an iPod, because the pressed steel back and the aluminium front are very stiff. I used little flat blade screwdrivers, scalpel blades and plectrums to get the blighter open. There are hidden clips inside, and you need to bend the sides of the chrome part out quite far to get at them. I definitely thought I was going to ruin it, but it proved to be very sturdy, and you would never know that I had opened it up. Batteries are cheep on eBay etc, but make sure you get the right one. It's well worth a try if you are a wee bit adventurous.

4 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Could you elaborate a bit more? 

After about 15 years of daily use, the battery of my iPod Classic 80GB barely charges anymore. I use mine in my car exclusively these days, where it's been hooked up to the stereo of my Mondeo by USB for the last 2 years. Previously, in my Volvo V50, I had it hooked up to a Parrot MKi9200 carkit permanently for 9.5 years. It's getting 5V through that connection at all times when my contact is on. Lately it won't power up sometimes. It's working fine when hooked up to iTunes. Today I kept it connected to a USB charger all day, but when I just disconnected it it was still empty. If I could revive it with a new battery, I would be more than happy! It's served me very well for far longer than I would have expected already, but I would love to keep using it. Did you replace the battery, and if so, how much did you spend on it?

It's on hiatus at the moment - I bought a replacement battery, but I'm not brave enough to try desoldering the battery socket back onto the logic board, so I'll probably end up sending it away to get fixed. I've had a quote of £60 including registered courier there and back, but haven't done anything about it yet.

• Like 1

Just now, paul_5 said:

It's on hiatus at the moment - I bought a replacement battery, but I'm not brave enough to try resoldering the battery socket back onto the logic board, so I'll probably end up sending it away to get fixed. I've had a quote of £60 including registered courier there and back, but haven't done anything about it yet.

• 2 months later...