Why become a member? ×

ACG J-type 5 string - On hold pending payment and delivery - *SOLD*
£1250
Newcastle upon Tyne

Conan

On 18/01/2023 at 23:09, Brother Jones said:

Seriously, why is this still here? 

I am wondering the same thing! As far as bang-for-buck goes, this has to be one of the best deals on BC at the moment. But the marketplace is rammed with Fenders and Fender-alikes. People want what they see, and what they see is Fenders with maybe the odd Rickenbacker, Musicman or Gibson depending on the music genre. They see what they like and they like what they see, so it all becomes a bit cyclical.

As far as build and sound quality go, ACG instruments are right up there with the likes of Status, Wal, Sadowsky, Lakland, Alembic, Roscoe, Spector and their ilk (and I've played most of them) - but because few bassists have seen, heard or tried them, they are regarded as a bit "out there" and so not worth the financial risk. Possibly a bit like Shuker basses, there is a bit of a mentality that "they are British, how good can they be?". And yet, apply that logic to Wal or Status and, er... 🤔

I dunno. What I do know is that it's a lovely bass and I will be happy to keep it and continue using it. It just doesn't quite fit what I am currently doing, or plan to do in the near future. If I was in a wedding/function band, and had to cover a wide variety of sound and playing styles, this bass would be perfect. But I'm not, so it isn't. I don't have a huge (or even modest) budget for music equipment, so can't afford to keep this beauty purely for home use. Even though my daughter loves it and wants it to be hers.... 😆

😉

Edited by Conan

I'm just curious as to what pickups are in the bass now. I bought a set of single coils from Alan and tried them out. I sold the bass with the originals as well.

Peter

Edited to add, I see it has the single coils in.

Edited by GreeneKing

9 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

I'm just curious as to what pickups are in the bass now. I bought a set of single coils from Alan and tried them out. I sold the bass with the originals as well.

Peter

Yep - ACG branded single coils 😎

11 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

I bought a set of single coils from Alan and tried them out.

Peter

Were you the original owner Peter? My research indicates that the bass is ACG #103 and was completed (and first purchased) in 2012, but I can't find out who was the first owner...

• Like 1

• Conan changed the title to ACG J-type 5 string - £1100 for cash, trades also welcome.

As an ACG owner I have to say this is a VERY reasonable price for what you get. Alan's build quality is second to none and neck profiling and finish make these stunningly easy to play. The pickups and electrics are very versatile. If you're looking for a Fender alternative Jazz format bass IMHO you could not do better. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, rumour6 said:

As an ACG owner I have to say this is a VERY reasonable price for what you get. Alan's build quality is second to none and neck profiling and finish make these stunningly easy to play. The pickups and electrics are very versatile. If you're looking for a Fender alternative Jazz format bass IMHO you could not do better. :)

There are those who know... 😉😎

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 11:58, Conan said:

Were you the original owner Peter? My research indicates that the bass is ACG #103 and was completed (and first purchased) in 2012, but I can't find out who was the first owner...

I didn’t have it custom made, at least from memory. I may have bought it new though. I had a break away from bass (mainly band related) and now play 4 string only. It didn’t come with single coils if memory serves correctly (age takes its toll). I bought the single coils as the originals sounded a little compressed to my ears. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

What's the string spacing at the bridge?

It's set at 18mm, but the bridge is adjustable so could allow it to go slightly wider. I wouldn't though, because it feels perfect for me as it is, and I prefer a wide spacing. It feels very like my four string Fenders, and I have sausage fingers! 😆

29 minutes ago, Conan said:

It's set at 18mm, but the bridge is adjustable so could allow it to go slightly wider. I wouldn't though, because it feels perfect for me as it is, and I prefer a wide spacing. It feels very like my four string Fenders, and I have sausage fingers! 😆

Thanks - do you think 19mm would be possible?

38 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Not sure. Not because of the bridge, but because it would bring the B and G strings very close to the edge of the fingerboard (I think).

IMG_20230121_132053_953.jpg

IMG_20230121_132040_926.jpg

After a bit more research, it would seem that this bridge is slightly adjustable. This version is set at 18+/-1.5mm. However, the same model is available with 19mm (or even 21mm!) spacing. I guess it would be a straight swap. If you picked one up second hand and sold the existing bridge, it would only cost a few quid...

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/5-string-a-style-bass-bridge?variant=31567451400

You're welcome 😎😆

Edited by Conan

51 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

The simple answer to this question is "yes" 😆🙄 It would seem that I have muddied the waters in trying to clear them... 🤔😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2023 at 11:45, GreeneKing said:

Peter

I’m an ACG owner and a fan.

Aaron Armstrong makes their pickups I believe. Very well made and comparable to top brands (I have used and owned basses with EMG, Bart’s, SD’s, Nordstrand etc…) and in combination with my good friend John East’s electronics, ACG’s are world class in my humble opinion!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bass Wielder said:

ACG’s are world class in my humble opinion!

Totally agree! It's a real shame that this beauty is mostly unplayed at the moment. It deserves a much better owner (and player) than me 💜

On 01/02/2023 at 19:04, Bass Wielder said:

I’m an ACG owner and a fan.

Aaron Armstrong makes their pickups I believe. Very well made and comparable to top brands (I have used and owned basses with EMG, Bart’s, SD’s, Nordstrand etc…) and in combination with my good friend John East’s electronics, ACG’s are world class in my humble opinion!

To my way of thinking there is a lot of myth and hype around pickups. Wire, magnets and a case. No magic. Most good.

On 04/02/2023 at 11:12, GreeneKing said:

To my way of thinking there is a lot of myth and hype around pickups. Wire, magnets and a case. No magic. Most good.

Well….maybe a bit too simplified.

As in all skills, some do better than some. In this case (no pun intended), the bigger companies could have the machinery to churn them out quicker and perhaps more consistently than the smaller guys….but sometimes the smaller guys put a bit more personal attention to details…

Subjective topic that but I do try to give credit where it’s due👍🏾

Edited by Bass Wielder
  • Like 1

• Conan changed the title to ACG J-type 5 string - Now £1000 for cash.
  • Conan changed the title to ACG J-type 5 string SOLD