Why become a member? ×

Hi from Liverpool.

Brian Elmer

Hello everyone, I think I may have just found my Online " Forever" home :) Been playing for many years, but not really pushed my progression. I currently play a Fender Dimension H V through a Rumble 500 combo. I am loving the portability of this set up as my previous was Ashdown 600 mk iv head and Ashdown Mini 1 x 15 and 4 x 8. ( heavy-ish gear, and I am not getting any younger). I still have the cabs, although the head has moved on.  I also have a Trace Elliot 1210h SMX Combo, which I absolutely love, but the old hernia kicks off at even the thought of getting that beast from the back of the lock-up!. Bass wise I have a Squire VM 5, a 1988 MIJ 60's RI P Bass, A 1964 Hofner Verithin, A 2016 USA Elite Jazz iv and a "Franken-Fretless" ( a Squire VM iv body with a Left hand - reversed fretless Mexican neck ) Tis a strange looking beast!. Don't really play the 4's anymore.

On 09/12/2022 at 22:40, Brian Elmer said:

Hi JellyKnees. Thanks. All of my band mates from "The Other side", as you put it. LOL. I've met a lot of talented people from your neck of the woods.

Cheers Brian, we've always been a bit overshadowed by Liverpool, but there has always been a pretty decent scene over here not to mention the odd success or two down the years...

Neil

On 12/12/2022 at 11:37, JellyKnees said:

Cheers Brian, we've always been a bit overshadowed by Liverpool, but there has always been a pretty decent scene over here not to mention the odd success or two down the years...

Neil

One of the Guitarists in the Rock band I play in goes to Molly's Chambers and The Swinging Arm quite a bit. Says they are both really good venues for live music. I will have to join him one night, when work allows.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:06, Ralf1e said:

Welcome Brian, I think many of us are past the 1/2 way point. Enjoy the banter

Thanks Ralf1e. Noticed in your description you are a "Fan fret fan"?. I am thinking about trading up to a Dingwall NG3/5. Got my hands on two of them in Bass Direct a few weeks ago. They played beautifully. What is your take on the Fan Fret basses you've played?.

6 hours ago, Brian Elmer said:

Thanks Ralf1e. Noticed in your description you are a "Fan fret fan"?. I am thinking about trading up to a Dingwall NG3/5. Got my hands on two of them in Bass Direct a few weeks ago. They played beautifully. What is your take on the Fan Fret basses you've played?.

I like them very much. My first was an Ibanez 5 string, then a 4 string Ormsby, A Sheckter studio 5 and a 5 string headless made by Steven Hart.

I still have them all and for me the transition between fan fretted and conventional has never been a problem although I am not a very complex player. My favourite is the Hart one as its fits me so well and is very well balanced so that it just sits at the right angle. It was the least expensive as well as he had it in stock and wanted to shift it. I think he built if for someone who let him down over the deal. Their loss my gain.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:37, JellyKnees said:

Neil

Indeed, I went to the same school as that Andy McCluskey off of OMD. Nineteen years after he went there, mind you, but the same school nonetheless.

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Are you suggesting that the Wirral is some sort of mythical place? I'm pretty sure I remember growing up in West Kirby, but maybe it's some sort of weird hallucination?

I was alluding to the Scouser 'witticism' of refering to Wirral as 'the dark side'... I prefer the oblong of dreams myself. Now that Nigel's properly witty. OMD I'd rather forget about.

6 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Are you suggesting that the Wirral is some sort of mythical place? I'm pretty sure I remember growing up in West Kirby, but maybe it's some sort of weird hallucination?

Ha no, asingardenof. I do remember photographing Wind Surfers in West Kirby on one particularly grey, dismal and drizzly autumn afternoon, a few years back. Mythical, it was not! 😃

16 hours ago, JellyKnees said:

Hey Brian, if you are interested in Dingwalls I have a Canadian made abz 5 for sale on here...

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/460459-dingwall-abz-5/

JellyKnees. That's a beautiful bass. I have my sights set on an NG3/5 in Black, Purple or White. I have two Natural basses myself already, so I was looking for something different. I do first have to sell my U.S.A Elite Jazz to help fund the purchase, along with some other Bass and Music related Items. Like other people have said, I am surprised it hasn't gone.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brian Elmer said:

Ha no, asingardenof. I do remember photographing Wind Surfers in West Kirby on one particularly grey, dismal and drizzly autumn afternoon, a few years back. Mythical, it was not! 😃

Best sunsets in the world in West Kirby if you catch it on a good day 😁

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian Elmer said:

JellyKnees. That's a beautiful bass. I have my sights set on an NG3/5 in Black, Purple or White. I have two Natural basses myself already, so I was looking for something different. I do first have to sell my U.S.A Elite Jazz to help fund the purchase, along with some other Bass and Music related Items. Like other people have said, I am surprised it hasn't gone.

No worries man, thought it was worth mentioning with you being fairly local. I'm sure the NGs are fine basses.

• Like 1