Why become a member? ×

Bass DI pedal help

Arnoldas

Hey guys,

Recently I've been trying to add a Di pedal at the end of my pedalboard chain. So far I have tried the following DI's:

Behringer BDI21
Caline CP-60 Wine Cellar
and a Ukrainian hand built B3K clone by CRAB (solo Ukrainian guy building amps and effect pedals)

The problem I have found with all of them is that even with the drive or gain section disengaged or turned to 0 I still get some clipping/distortion happening when playing.

Not sure if this is by design or my setup is not right. (I've tried both through amp and straight into a DAW)

So what I'd like, is to still keep my bass clean until I stomp on a dedicated distortion pedal (ie I use Aftershock).

Any advice?

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Describe the full signal chain before and after the DI is inserted. The reason for the distortion will very likely become clear.

With the limited info given so far it could be any number of hookups gone wrong .

IN -> PolyTune2 -> Hyper Luminal (comp) -> C4 Synth -> Aftershock (distortion) -> DI pedal -> OUT

All powered by Mooer Micro Power

3 hours ago, Arnoldas said:

IN -> PolyTune2 -> Hyper Luminal (comp) -> C4 Synth -> Aftershock (distortion) -> DI pedal -> OUT

All powered by Mooer Micro Power

I think it might be your boutique pedals compaining about being run into a behringer!

Sorry, off topic, but how do you like that aftershock?

What I'd recommend is to take all of the pedals out of the chain and put them back in one at a time. This will identify where exactly the distortion happens, if you're still getting distortion without any effects then the problem is either before them i.e. your bass, or after them i.e. gain structure of your sound card/interface.

If you get distortion using just the DI when the drive or blend is set to clean then it could be your power supply isn't delivering enough voltage and you're running out of clean headroom way before you should.

It's time consuming, but it's guaranteed to work.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I have the BDI 21 too and mine sounds ok. Sounds like the signal going in to it is too high. Have you tried removing the DI's and checking to see if the clipping is still present?  

Yeah without the DI pedal it's great, nice and clean!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lidl e said:

I think it might be your boutique pedals compaining about being run into a behringer!

Sorry, off topic, but how do you like that aftershock?

Thing is, it's similar clipping effect with all of them, the least is with the wine cellar, but still noticibly there on the low end, and when i turn up the highs and "presence" on the DI's the distortion gets worse.

The aftershock is amazing, best bass distortion pedal I ever bought!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

What comes after and is it ALL the same stuff before adding in the DI?

After the pedal board is a TC electronics BH750 or an Audient iD14 (just for home recording straight into DAW).

Yes the pedalboard always stays the same, just been trying to add a DI so I can play live without need for a bass amp.

7 hours ago, paul_5 said:

What I'd recommend is to take all of the pedals out of the chain and put them back in one at a time. This will identify where exactly the distortion happens, if you're still getting distortion without any effects then the problem is either before them i.e. your bass, or after them i.e. gain structure of your sound card/interface.

If you get distortion using just the DI when the drive or blend is set to clean then it could be your power supply isn't delivering enough voltage and you're running out of clean headroom way before you should.

It's time consuming, but it's guaranteed to work.

Will defo try that, thanks!