Why become a member? ×

Anyone heard of T.AMP

sk8

Just broswing for a cheap power amp and found this

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e800.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e800.htm[/url]

seems really cheap for what it is but can't find alot of info on the brand.

Anyone got one, played one, broke one.................

I believe T.Amp is Thomann's own 'brand'. The gear gets good reviews and sometimes get lumped in the same pigeon hole as Behringer and Phonic. Though I have nothing to substantiate those views myself. The large diaphragm studio microphones by T.Amp are very good though!

thanks for the replies. I wondered whether it was thomann own brand. Fro a £120 its got to be worth a punt really. thinking i could use my VT Bass as the pre straight into this

Edited by sk8

[quote name='sk8' post='469343' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:17 AM']thanks for the replies. I wondered whether it was thomann own brand. Fro a £120 its got to be worth a punt really. thinking i could use my VT Bass as the pre straight into this[/quote]

As long as your pedal has enough output gain to drive the poweramp, you'll be fine. Some power amps require a 'line level' input signal and pretty much all pedals, unless designed otherwise, run at 'instrument level'. Thats not to say it wont work.. you'll defintely hear your signal, no problem. You justy need to make sure you have enough signal going in to the power amp to achieve a suitable output level.

I've used a sansamp BDDI straight into a power amp before and that was fine.. it also featured a switch for boosting to a line level output.

See if you can find out the 'input sensitivity' of the power amp. That will give us some indication of whether or not it will accept an instrument level signal to drive it to full power.

[quote name='sk8' post='469375' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:38 AM']the VT has enough juice. I've used it in the effects return of my shuttle so the vt was the pre and i was just using the suttles poweramp. It could give me a really cheap rig :)[/quote]

Well, there ya go then! - Great idea.. and is pretty much guaranteed to sound great.

[quote name='sk8' post='469375' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:38 AM']the VT has enough juice. I've used it in the effects return of my shuttle so the vt was the pre and i was just using the suttles poweramp. It could give me a really cheap rig :)[/quote]

Not necessarily - the level needed to take a power amp to full volume varies substantially and for pro power amps it's usually quite a bit higher than the level an effects return expects. Also the input impedance on power amps tends to be lower than that of effects returns. There's hardly any pedals out there that can push my QSC to full power but the Thomann amp is probably easier to drive.

Alex

[quote name='sk8' post='469512' date='Apr 22 2009, 12:42 PM']when i put it through the effects return the level was below 9 o'clock so i am confident it has alot more to give should it be needed. but you point is taken :)[/quote]

That certainly bodes well! When I first got my Acmes and a Mackie M1400 to power them I hoped to drive them with my TE Dual Compressor but it was so quiet - that did result in a fun trip into the old Bass Centre to try out every preamp they had with my full rig - I came out with an SWR GP that I used for the next nine years. Not sure where it is now, think it did the rounds here and then headed elsewhere.

Alex