Why become a member? ×

Creating a monster (lead singer problem)

Mickeyboro

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

We have played two gigs with him and wanted to iron out the mistakes. Not quite as easy as playing to the record, as intros and such are often changed.

What I do, and that's just what works for me, is I take a little recorder with me to rehearsal. An ancient Zoom H2, but even a mobile phone does a good job these days. So I record those songs including intros, ending etc... then I can just take it home and learn that. I don't need the rest of the band to do my homework. Maybe something like that can help?

I'm playing on Saturday as a dep with a band. I had around 30 songs to learn. I took the versions I was asked, wrote my charts, then I had one practice with the band, so I got all the starts and endings and variations and I learnt those. Did one more practice, it was giggable already. And I am not exactly amazing... but recording those bits and taking them home is very efficient, for me.

• Like 3

On 18/11/2022 at 11:02, BigRedX said:

IMO, if you've reached the point where you feel the need to air this on a publicly accessible part of the internet, then either you or the vocalist needs to go.

This.

No mobile phone? I love that idea but the reality is harsh. Traffic delays / illness / last minute changes for gigs etc etc. Communications are vital. That would have been enough for me to get annoyed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

No mobile phone? I love that idea but the reality is harsh. Traffic delays / illness / last minute changes for gigs etc etc. Communications are vital. That would have been enough for me to get annoyed.

Although IME the possibility of instant mobile communication actually allows flakey band members to be even more flakey with last minute practice cancellations, late arrivals at gigs etc. They think that just because they can send a text or make a quick call it's alright. It's not.

17 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

This.

Absolutely agree with this added to the feeling from what I have read so far i.e all of it he seems to want to live in the past and not move on.

Do you think he may actually be insecure about his ability to learn new stuff and move forward. Ruts can be awful difficult to get out of at times.

I will add here as others have intimated this is beginning to look more like a clash of personalities where it is likely you are both wrong.

That beer and chat is looking like the way to go. Mines a pint!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Dave Great stuff.  Who took over the singing? How far are you from Oxford. Don't generally go to gigs nowadays but wouldn't mind venturing out for a listen sometime as I cant be that far away he says not being sure how far west Oxon stretches

The current version of the band is a three piece, with a drummer from Headington (east Oxford), guitarist from Swindon and I live near Witney. Most of the few gigs we've played this year have been around Witney.